Swiss Family Card seat reservation?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2016 at 19:49:12 #809165

Hi,

We are going from Milan to Wengen in June and plan to buy 8 day travel passes. We will have two adults, one 18 year old, and one 15 year old. I’ve read a lot but would love it if someone could confirm a couple of things before I purchase.

I only need to buy 3 Swiss travel passes and add on a family card… correct? I put in the birthdate of the 15 year old as if I were buying her a pass (in sbb ticket shop) and it had a cost, so I want to make sure I’m right. I expected that it would be smart enough to figure out she should be at zero, but I guess not.

Also, if I want to make a seat reservation (from Domodossola to Spiez, for example), can I do that for all four of us, or only for the three holding passes? If so, can you tell me how to do that with the family card?

I know this is a common topic, but I’d really appreciate any help!

Allison

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    11 May 2016 at 4:59:33 #851856

Hi Allison, thanks for your first post here!

• You need two Swiss Travel Passes for the adults, one Swiss Travel Pass Youth for the 18 year old, and a free Swiss Family Card for the 15 year old. You can go to the SBB webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, and fill out the number of adults (2), youths (1) and children (1). Then tick the Swiss Family Card box for the child. After filling out your address, they will list the delivery options. Select “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list so they will e-mail the passes and you can print them at home.
    • You don’t need seat reservations for trains in Switzerland. Please see myswissalps.com/ train/reservations.
    • If you still want to reserve seats, you need to do so for all 4 travelers. Whether you already have a pass when you book this is not important. You simply book the seats you need, and it’s up to you to also have a pass in hand once you board the train.

I hope this was useful for you!

• The thread ‘Swiss Family Card seat reservation?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.