Swiss Flexi Pass – 1st or 2nd Class?

• gyellin
    Participant
    21 posts
    29 May 2012 at 12:51:43 #805312

Hi Forum: First a general thank you to the forum for the excellent information on traveling in Switzerland. My wife and I will be traveling in Switzerland for a week starting September 7. We will be using the 4-day Swiss Flexi Pass. Our two longer travel days will be from Geneva to Lauterbrunnen (arrival day) and Lauterbrunnen to Milan, Italy (departure day). We will also take a day trip on the panoramic Goldenpass train from Interlaken to Montreaux. Given the time of the year, is it worth it to purchase the 1st class Swiss Flexi Pass? My concern is when traveling with luggage on the arrival and departure days, having things go “smoothly”. By the way, I also plan on making reservations for the arrival and departure days even for the Swiss portion of the trips. Your thoughts on whether 1st class vs. 2nd class will be very helpful; and if you recommend 1st class, is making reservations for the Swiss portions of the arrival and departure day trains overkill?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    31 May 2012 at 2:11:02 #836264

Hi Gary! First of all, just to be sure: will you be taking advantage of the 2 for 1 offer on the 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass? Please do so, as that’s a very economical deal.

September is no longer high season, but there will still be quite some tourists, especially since you’re traveling in the beginning of September. I’d say that a 1st class pass is not really necessary, but it is convenient and relaxing. Still not much of an answer, right? You may want to take a look at general differences between 1st and 2nd class. It’s also wise to consult the timetable. Just fill out some of the trips you plan to make and then watch the symbols under the header ‘Information’: they indicate the expected occupancy for 1st and 2nd class coaches. This will also help you to decide whether you think seat reservations should be made. For the Swiss-Italian section to Milan seat reservations may be required. The timetable indicates this as well. Your Golden Pass trip to Montreux has to be arranged for in advance too.

gyellin
    Participant
    21 posts
    31 May 2012 at 13:19:17 #836265

Thanks Annika. I appreciate your answer – I realize it’s not an easy question and I’ll probably go with the 1st class choice. By the way, I will take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer through this site.

• The thread ‘Swiss Flexi Pass – 1st or 2nd Class?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.