Swiss Flexi Pass (2 for 1 Promotion)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2012 at 21:21:18 #805298

We plan to purchase the Swiss Flexi Pass 4 days (2 for 1 promotion) and we wonder if this pass is able to cover my 8 days trip. We don’t really need to travel with Swiss Flexi Pass on Day 1 and Day 2.
    Please find my queries as below:

27/09 – Take train from Milan to Zurich.
    29/08 – Sightseeing and shopping in Zurich.
    29/09 – Leaving to Lucerne from Zurich by train. Is it advisable to start validate the swiss flexi pass on day 1?
    30/09 – Is there any discount given on Mount Pilatus Golden Round trip? If yes, is 1 day deducted on Swiss Flexi Pass once I redeem the discount?
    01/10 – Take Golden Pass scenic train from Lucerne to Interlaken. The Swiss Flexi Pass covers scenic train and seat reservation is required. Thus, 1 day is deducted from Swiss Flexi pass.
    02/10 – If we have validate the pass on 29/09, can we get 25% discount on mountain top trains and cable cars while visiting Jungfraujoch (leaving from Lauterbrunnen)?
    03/10 – Take Golden Pass scenic train from Interlaken to Montreux, hop to Geneva later. If getting discounts on those mountain trains and cable cars is consider as 1 day utilization on the pass, then the swiss pass validity should be ended on 01/10.
    04/10 – We will be leaving to Paris from Geneva.

Could you please advise us the most cost efficient way of travelling to these places by utilizing this Swiss Flexi Pass 4 days?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    14 March 2012 at 3:02:04 #836214

Hi slchan11,

If you already have a ticket from Milan to Zurich, you could use the free travel days on 29/9, 1/10, 2/10 and 3/10. The days in between allow discounted traveling. The Pilatus is discounted by 50% and the Jungfrau railways by 25% from Wengen or Grindelwald onwards. Wengen and Grindelwald can be reached for free on a free travel day, so that’s why I would use one of the days there as well. If time permits you could even do a free boat trip on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz after your trip to the Jungfrau.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2012 at 5:30:39 #836215

Hi Arno,

We don’t have the ticket from Milan to Zurich yet. Is there any discount can be given to this trip if we opt to validate the Swiss Pass on 27/09? In this case, we will not validate the pass on 29/9 (Zurich – Lucerne). We would like to get some advice from you on when to validate the Swiss Flexi Pass so that we can enjoy more discount.
    Regarding the Pilatus Golden Round trip, do we need to make reservation or purchase ticket in advance? Where can we make the purchase?
    Since we will be travelling to Switzerland in September, when do you think is the best time to purchase the Swiss Flexi Pass?
    Thanks

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 March 2012 at 15:15:01 #836216

Hi slchan11! If you validate your Swiss Flexi Pass at 27/9 during your inbound trip from Italy to Switzerland, the entire Swiss part of the journey (from Domdossola or Chiasso onward, depending on your connection) is for free. I think that’s the best option, as the validity starts with the first free travel day and the Swiss leg of this inbound trip is rather long and expensive. You’ll save a lot if you have this covered by your Swiss Flexi Pass.

No, you don’t have to make any reservations for Pilatus trip. Just get tickets at the railway station at Lucerne, showing your Swiss Flexi Pass.

The offer will be for sale through this page up to November, so you can order whenever you want. Just consider the shipping and delivery periods. They can be checked by filling out your country of residence at the Swiss Flexi Pass page and clicking ‘Show more information’ at each purchase option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2012 at 10:32:28 #836217

Hi Annika,

Thank you for your advice.
    For the moment I still haven’t decided when to purchase the Swiss pass.
    For Milan to Zurich trip, I got to know the ticket can be purchased via Trenitalia. Since I have opted to validate my pass on 27/9, this mean I should have purchase train ticket from Milan to Domdossola or Chiasso. As I understand both stations are located at the border of Swiss and Italy, do we still have to get train ticket travelling from Domdossola or Chiasso to Zurich? Perhaps we just have to show them our Swiss Pass then we will be entitled this free journey?

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 April 2012 at 14:42:57 #836218

Hi slchan. With a valid Swiss (Flexi) Pass, you shouldn’t buy ticket up to Zurich, but only up to Domodossola or Chiasso. From there on, your Swiss Pass will take over and that’s the only thing you have to show the train conductor when asked for your ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2012 at 22:34:25 #836219

Hi Annika,
    I’d been away from this forum too long. I should have say thousand thanks for your information shared in April.
    I will buy train ticket from Milan to Domodosolla. Do we have to make seat reservation for the journey from Domodossola to Zurich although this part is covered by Swiss Pass?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    27 May 2012 at 6:51:56 #836220

Hello slchan,

Reservations for your journey from Domodossola to Zürich will not be necessary.

Have a nice trip,

• The thread ‘Swiss Flexi Pass (2 for 1 Promotion)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.