Swiss Flexi Pass or Eurorail France – Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2012 at 16:01:48 #805339

Hi Experts,

I am a resident of USA and would like to get your advice on whether Swiss Flexi Pass or 2 region Eurorail pass whould work best for me and family(2 adults and 2 kids – both 16 yrs old.

Here are the high level details:

– Travel to Interlaken(wilderswil) via Milan on June 24th.
    – Would like to see Jungfraujoch and Mt Titlis.
    – Go to Lucerne on 27th and then to Zurich.
    – From Zurich, go to Paris on 29th morning(preferably TGV).

I was initially looking at getting a 4 day Swiss Flexi pass but it seems TGV offers good discount if I have a Eurorail 1st class
    instead.
    Also, if I have a Swiss Flexi Pass, can I get discounts on booking through http://www.sbb.ch site? It lists a few options like GA passes but Flexi pass is not listed there.

Sincerely,
    Sandeep

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 June 2012 at 3:37:04 #836324

Hi Sandeep,

Since you’re traveling in 3 countries a Eurail pass would indeed be a good idea. The Jungfraujoch and Titlis are covered as well (i.e. you get a discount). You don’t need a pass that covers Italy if you only travel from Milan to the Swiss border. A Eurail France-Switzerland Saver Pass would be a logical choice. With such a pass, the TGV to Paris is free except for the seat reservations. Your cheapest option would be raileurope-world.com, especially if you take advantage of these promo codes for a discount on top of the listed prices. Please note that shipping takes about 8 days. An alternative is raileurope.com.

The Swiss Flexi Pass is cheaper but it wouldn’t include the trip to Paris. TGV fares vary with the travel day, booking date and popularity of the train, but I’m quite sure this option would turn out to be more expensive in total.

There is no need to book on the SBB website. Your pass covers everything. Discounted tickets can be purchased on the spot. The seat reservations for the trip to Paris can be ordered along with your pass.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Swiss Flexi Pass or Eurorail France – Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.