Swiss Flexi Pass or Half fare card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2011 at 12:40:32 #804398

Hello

Me and my wife would be travelling to Switzerland in July. We will have a rental car for the first day and then for the next 3 days we will rely on public transport.
    We have not worked out yet that which sites we want to visit. But from a broader perspective, would it be better for us to buy a Swiss Flexi Pass or Half fare card? Assumption is that we would be visiting the most famous places like Interlakhen, Jungfarjoch, Zermatt, Mt. Pilatus etc.
    We will be staying in Horw near Lucerne.

I know it is hard to give an answer unless we decide on a final list of sites to visit, but from a general point of view, for a young couple looking to see maximum Swiss land in 3-4 days, what is the best option?

Thanks

Gunjan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 June 2011 at 2:34:39 #833170

Hi Gunjan,

Welcome here! It seems that your plans include long train trips if you are based in Lucerne and make return trips from there. Therefor I would definitely say that you need a Swiss Saver Pass (if the days are consecutive) or Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. Both of them include the boats and the Rigi train near Lucerne for free.

Does this make sense?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2011 at 18:11:41 #833171

Thanks Arno. We had almost decided on the Half Fare card but your response has made us think again. We may now go for the Flexi Pass.
    I would appreciate if you could answer one more broad but important question. Knowing that we’ll be staying in Lucerne, what are the top places you would recommend we see in Switzerland in 3 days? We are somewhat confused after talking to people who have been there and reading on the Internet. But now we want an experts’ opinion 🙂 So which sites are a must see according to you?

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 June 2011 at 7:07:42 #833172

Hi gunjan,

It all depends on whether you want to focus on the Lucerne area or if you want to see many parts of Switzerland with Lucerne being your base. In the latter case, the Swiss Flexi Pass would be better for the long journey’s you’ll be making, and you could include the famous Jungfrau as a day trip. In the former case, your trips will be shorter and you’ll visit nearby sites such as Pilatus and Titlis. Both are great (including the funicular/cable car going up there) but very different. Dining on one of the ships on Lake Lucerne is really enjoyable as well, and you can combine it with a cog rail trip to the Rigi. Just a couple of options!

• The thread ‘Swiss Flexi Pass or Half fare card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.