Swiss Half Fare Card plus Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 19:32:13 #811588

I plan to purchase a Swiss Half Fare Card to use on days when I don’t use my STP. Do I just present the card at a ticket counter for the discount? What do I do if the only way to get a ticket is a machine? Will it ask if I have a discount card? Or what about if purchasing from the driver?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2017 at 2:30:52 #862423

>> I plan to purchase a Swiss Half Fare Card to use on days when I don’t use my STP. Do I just present the card at a ticket counter for the discount?

Yes, you can do that.

>> What do I do if the only way to get a ticket is a machine? Will it ask if I have a discount card?

Yes, part way through the ticket-buying process on a machine, you will be asked to make a selection depending on whether or not you have a half-fare card.

You can practice with a simulated train ticket machine here:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/iframes/ automatic-ticket-machine-simulation-SBB.html

>> Or what about if purchasing from the driver?

If there is a ticket machine available, you will need a ticket before boarding a train or bus.

For local buses in rural areas you can buy a ticket from the driver if there is no ticket machine at the bus stop. You will need to have your Half-Fare Card ready to show on request. For low-cost fares, the discount might not be quite 50%.

I think most ticket machines accept credit cards as well as cash. Drivers only accept cash, so keeping a selection of coins and CHF 10 notes on hand might be a good idea if you plan to use buses.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2017 at 14:20:45 #862424

At a machine do my husband and I have to make a separate purchase, or can we purchase 2 tickets at one time?

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2017 at 19:59:13 #862425

You can buy two tickets at once, no problem.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card plus Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.