Swiss Half Fare Card – 30days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 November 2013 at 23:05:00 #806210

Goodday,

I will be travelling from Paris – Basel SBB via TGV, from there onward will be via SBB network train.
    Based on all my study on the web. (see below, correct me if i’m wrong)

I will then use the 1/2 fare card for the rest of my use in Swiss.
    Questions:
    1. can i buy the 1/2 fare card when i am in Basel around 1pm? (or do i buy online)
    2. Advisable if i can buy all my planned train trip in advance with 1/2 fare option then buy the 1/2 fare card in Basel?
    3. or can i just buy it off the counter once i reached Basel?
    4. My stay will end in Grindelwald and then to Milano Centrale, can i use this 1/2 fare card to buy this trip in the “international ticket” section too?

many thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 November 2013 at 0:35:19 #839384

Hello junholiday,

1. – 3. You can buy your Swiss Half Fare Card in Basel or online, whatever suits you best. If you buy it online you can get a discounted ticket from a ticketing machine straight away without waiting for the ticket desk. You can indeed get the tickets from the SBB site in advance, but in that case you should be sure of all your trips. You probably already know that there are also passes that allow unlimited traveling, so you don’t need any tickets and can just board any train. See here how to pick the best pass.

4. Yes, you get a discount until Domodossola. I’m not sure where you intend to buy but if it is the SBB site you can select the 1-year card as it grants the same discount.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2013 at 1:00:22 #839385

Hi Arno,

Appreciat your prompt replied.

I tried buying from the site but the date i want is on the 2nd Feb’14 and it seems to only availabe up to 60days in advance only? (Will buy it online then)

My brief trip as followed which i guess 1/2 fare card would suffice?

2 Feb – Basel to Interlaken OST for 1 night

3-6Feb – to Grindelwald for 3 nights. From here we will go Jungfraujoch and kleine scheidegg on a different day. If times allow, will try Garcia Express.

6th morning will leave for Milano Centrale, yes will buy from the SBB site.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 November 2013 at 1:30:30 #839386

Hi junholiday,

A Swiss Half Fare Card would be fine for your trip, provided that you will only make short trips from Grindelwald. I don’t know what the Garcia Express is. Did you mean Glacier Express? If so, it would be a really long trip from Grindelwald to do even part of it. Also, with such a long trip a Swiss Half Fare Card would most probably not be the best choice. If you want to do this I would advice to first create your itinerary and then select a rail pass.

Train tickets that require seat reservations are indeed only available from 2-3 months prior to the travel date, depending on the exact train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2013 at 2:05:56 #839387

Hi Arno,
    LOL, yes Glacier Express, sorry my bad.
    Lastly, is it advisable for me to buy the SBB ticket only when i reach my destination instead of buying online in advance?
    Also, how can i purchase a mobile sim card with data? Basel SBB has it?
    Many thanks.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 November 2013 at 2:47:52 #839388

Hi junholiday,

If you are 100% sure you will make the trips you can buy point to point tickets in advance. The advantage is that it saves time.

I am sure you can get a Sim card from a shop at the airport or at Basel SBB. There’s a Media Markt shop at Basel SBB that may sell them. Also there’s a Swisscom shop in Interlaken (Marktgasse 1). See this topic too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2013 at 21:52:43 #839389

Hi Amo,

Is driving condition ok in February? Basel to Grindelwald to Italy.

Thanks!

Annika
    7116 posts
    2 December 2013 at 14:11:09 #839390

Hi junholiday. If you avoid mountain passes and use main roads, you should be fine. Do use winter tires. Plan your trip using online maps like maps.google.ch and http://webmaptcs.trafficmap.ch/default_de.aspx, providing current traffic information. And always keep an eye on weather forecasts. If winter storms are upcoming, you’d better not get out on the road or at least prepare well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2013 at 0:03:57 #839391

Hi again,

Just double check if swiss 1/2 fare give you 50% and swiss pass give 25% from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch?
    But when i buy online ticket selecting this two destination only allow me to select 1/2 fare ticket discount.
    How?

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 December 2013 at 8:53:40 #839392

Hi junholiday,

You can best buy the ticket to the Jungfraujoch at a local station (e.g. Interlaken or Grindelwald), at the point where you’ll be sure that the weather will be good enough to go up there. They’ll be able to sell you the ticket with the discount you’re entitled to.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card – 30days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.