Swiss Half Fare card price differences

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2015 at 0:56:27 #807058

I’m pricing the Half Fare card to purchase before our trip (I’m in the United States). I’ve noticed that the price is different on the three websites listed – Rail Europe USA is $128, Swiss Railways is $144, and Rail Europe-World is 98 euros (about $105).

Obviously the last one is the cheapest, I’m assuming due to the declining value of the euro. However, I’ve read of many customer service problems with Rail Europe-World on Trip Advisor, and that concerns me.

Any suggestions as to where I should purchase the cards? We are traveling into Switzerland from Italy (Milan to Domodossola to Wengen) – should I buy them at the Domodossola station instead of getting them before we leave?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 April 2015 at 5:45:11 #842368

Hi Dana8,

The points of sale listed on this page are all trusted resellers. We list them because of that, so I would not be worried about buying with any of them. I’ve heard about some cases where it took long for Rail Europe World to respond to questions, but not about problems with their passes. Orders are processed perfectly fine, but should you have any issues, feel free to contact us. We know them well, including their websites, so in many cases we can help as well. By the way, they do have an online chat option that allows to get in touch quickly, if necessary.

I’m not sure where you saw the $144 price of the Swiss Railways. Their price is CHF 120, about $ 124, see the page I linked to above. Currently the best price for travelers from the US is indeed € 98, through raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-half-fare-card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2015 at 21:44:20 #842369

Thank you, Arno. Your reassurance is appreciated. I will order from Rail Europe World, and let you know if I run into any issues.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2015 at 4:58:09 #842370

I just discovered that Rail Europe World cannot send tickets via email. If we need the Swiss Half Fare card for next Thursday (4/23) to get up to Jungfraujoch and later to Schilthorn, what’s the best way to buy the Swiss 1/2 fare card? At a train station? Is there a station in Lauterbrunnen that we can buy the 1/2 fare cards as well as the cable car tickets? Or should we try to get ticket printed from the Rail Europe USA site if it can be done?

I am still in the US. (4/17/2015) Thanks.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 April 2015 at 10:01:50 #842371

Hi MeiLi,

Indeed Rail Europe World does not offer print at home Swiss Half Fare Cards yet. The same applies to Rail Europe USA. But the Swiss Railways do. Please go to http://www.swissrailways.com and select ‘Online Ticket’ when asked for shipping options. It takes up to 3 working days to process the order and e-mail it, so you’re still in time.

Have a wonderful time in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2015 at 14:32:14 #842372

Thank you so much for answering my question. However, when I went to the Swissrailways site, there is no e-delivery option for the Half-fare card. Can I buy the Half-fare card in Munich or somewhere in Switzerland (Luzern, Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen)? Thank you so much.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 April 2015 at 14:50:18 #842373

Hi MeiLi,

You need to fill out all the fields the site is asking for in order to see that option. After filling out your billing address (including your country), the option “Online Ticket” will pop up. You won’t see it until you have completed these steps.

Staffed stations in Switzerland sell the card as well, please see the last option in the list of resellers.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2015 at 16:16:54 #842374

Thank you so much! That’s very helpful. Meanwhile, I found something called Hiking/Sledging pass.http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/winter/tourism/travel-information/sportpass/hikingsledging-pass/. On the page, it says “For holders of a Jungfrau Sportpass that is valid for at least
    three consecutive days, there is a 50% discount on connecting tickets
    for the routes Eigergletscher – Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe and Mürren –
    Schilthorn Piz Gloria. ” Does this pass ($158 for 3 days) give more discount than that half fare card? There are 6 adults in our group and we hope to visit at least the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn on Thursday and Sat (when Schilthorn is open).

Thank you so much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2015 at 16:25:28 #842375

Sorry. 158 CHF, not dollars.

Annika
    7124 posts
    18 April 2015 at 16:27:50 #842376

Hi MeiLi,

That pass is for the Winter season. As far as I know it’s only valid until this weekend. A Jungfrau VIP Pass is a good alternative but only valid from May 1. Both passes provide a lot of free traveling, but only for a few days in a small region. That’s the main difference with the Swiss Half Fare Card, which provides 50% off nearly all tickets in the whole of Switzerland for a month.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare card price differences’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.