Swiss Half Fare Card vs Swiss Flexi Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2016 at 15:06:40 #810028

We will be staying in Switzerland for two weeks. We have booked car for the first 8 days of our trip from Zurich, Liechenstein to Jungfrau region. We will return our car when we arrive Zermatt. We will then spend three days in Zermatt and three days in Zurich (day trip to Luzern).

I noted that the Swiss Half Fare is only CHF 120 and also offers 50% reduction on most cable cars and trains. This seems to be a much better deal than the Swiss Travel Pass, which cost CHF363 for 8 days. I would appreciate your guidance. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 September 2016 at 15:46:35 #855690

Hi DY2004, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Whether the Swiss Half Fare Card is a better deal depends on your travel plans. It’s designed for shorter trips by cable cars but also trains and boats. The Swiss Travel Pass is designed for longer trips and convenience: no tickets to buy for trains, boats, buses and even some cable cars. Many museums are free too, while not included in the Swiss Half Fare Card. In your case a Swiss Half Fare Card may make sense as I assume you will also need some kind of pass while driving (for cable cars, boat trips, etc.).

These pages help you choose:

Mc1988
    Participant
    3 posts
    5 September 2016 at 17:25:50 #855691

Hi Arno,

I see you are knowledgeable in the transport system in Switzerland. I was wondering if you could help me out with my particular inquiry. I have a similar question as the original poster:

I am traveling to Switzerland from Oct 5-Oct 10. I will arrive in Zurich (Airport Station) and head to Interlaken (Wilderswil station) by train.

from Interlaken, i plan on visiting the Harder Klum and the Piz Gloria area in Murren. Those will be the two activities i will be doing on my trip (and a bike tour that does not reqire transport).

Upon return, i will be flying out of Switzerland from Basel Airport.

Given this information, do you reccommend the 4-day flex pass or the half fare pass? From my research i think i would do better with the 4 day flex. But i am unsure of the rates with regards to getting to the Piz Gloria and the Harder Klum as they both require travel on the gondola trains. Do you think the four day flex would be a greater savings than the half fare pass?

Thanks!

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 September 2016 at 18:14:57 #855692

Hi Mc1988,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Would you mind posting this in a new thread, as this one is about DY2004’s question? Thanks a lot, I’ll be happy to help you there.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card vs Swiss Flexi Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.