Swiss Half Fare or Swiss Saver Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2012 at 4:12:07 #804870

Hi there,

Me and my family (there will be 4 of us, all adults) will be traveling to Switzerland for around 8 days in May 2012. More or less we have finished our itinerary but I need your advice on which pass should we use..

Would really appreciate your advice on which pass is most suitable for us 🙂

Below is our itinerary

May 8 : Arrive in Zurich from Salzburg, overnight in Zurich
    May 9-10 : Zurich – Zermatt via train, will stay for 2 nights in Zermatt
    May 11-12 : Zermatt – Interlaken via train, will stay for 2 nights in Interlaken
    May 13 : Interlaken – Montreux via Golden Pass Line, overnight in Montreux
    May 14 : Montreux – Geneve via train, overnight in Geneve
    May 15 : Geneve – Paris

Thank you very much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 February 2012 at 8:38:11 #834725

Hi ReagH,

A 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would fit your itinerary very well. You can start using it from May 9 and use the free travel days for the 4 transfers you listed. I have just posted about the new 2 for 1 offer for Swiss Saver (Flexi) Passes. In your case, you can buy a pass for 4 people and pay for only 2.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2012 at 11:03:53 #834726

Thank you Arno!

I have several more questions:

• So if I buy the 4 days Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, I need to specify the 4 free days (in my case May 9,11,13 and 14) when I validate this pass at train station, right? on other days will be 50% discount?
    • If I buy 2nd class ticket, is it possible to upgrade to 1st class on case per case basis? Because I am planning to take 1st class only on the trip from Interlaken to Montreux using Golden Pass Line
    • And how early we need to make reservation on the Golden Pass Line?
    • Lastly, in your opinion, which currency is better for the online payment (in case you know which currency is stronger versus CHF), Singapore Dollar or Canadian Dollar?

Thank you very much! this is our first time going to Switzerland, can not wait!

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 February 2012 at 14:48:35 #834727

Hi ReagH,

• If you buy through the resellers currently mentioned in the forum post, you can activate the pass yourself so you don’t need to consult railway personnel. When you purchase you only choose the first free travel day. The rest of them can be decided while you’re there. Days in between the first and last free travel day will allow discounted traveling. All details are on the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass page.
    • Yes, you can purchase an add-on ticket whenever you like.
    • 2-3 months in advance would be fine. Details on seat reservations are here.
    • Perhaps I don’t understand your question, but most resellers do not allow you to choose the currency to pay with. If you want to purchase the discounted passes as mentioned in the other forum post, you’ll pay in GBP if you live in the UK or Ireland, or you pay in CHF if you live elsewhere. Your bank will convert that to your local currency. For your convenience, our pass pages list prices in the currency of your choice, using today’s exchange rate.

Does this help?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2012 at 19:59:22 #834728

Yes, very helpful!

Thank you very much Arno!!!

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare or Swiss Saver Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.