Swiss itinerary – base town suggestions

• IbnEBatuta
    Participant
    4 posts
    29 March 2017 at 8:27:21 #811217

Team,

Thanks for your earlier reposnses, we have been able to finalise our wish list for the Swiss Holiday. Our vacation schedule permits us to travel between 1st & 15th June 2017 only. We plan to travel to Zurich, Luzern, Interlaken, Zermatt, St. Moritz, Zurich using the Swiss Rail Pass. Over this trip we would like to visit Mt. Titlis, Mt. Pilatus, Jungfraujoch, Gronergat, Matterhorn, St Moritz via Glacier Express. Few questions:

1. Which one between Luzern and Interlaken would you advise to be a base location for the first 6 nights/ 5 days of our trip where we intend to cover the Central Swiss and Benese Oberland regions such that we can make day trips to each of these from the base town. How long does each of these trips typicaly take assuming we can start the day at 830/9AM post breakfast.

2. For Zermatt, we would like to experience the town so plan to stay there. We will have one clear day apart from the afternoon of arrvial from Luzern/ Interlaken. Can Matterhorn and Gronergat be visited in a single day ? Or is it possible to cover one of these on the day of arrival itself ?

3. Does the Rail Pass include all Boats, Busses, Cable Cars, Gondolas, Cog Wheel Trains etc apart from the normal trains ? Is there a special ticket for Glacier Express ?

Rgds,

IbnEBatuta

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2017 at 10:14:09 #860661

Hi IbnEBatuta,

1. I think I would pick Luzern over Interlaken (based purely on the town itself). Some trips will be easier from Luzern and some from Interlaken. You can use the Swiss Railways timetable here to check all schedules to and from your towns and destinations.
    2. You can’t actually visit the Matterhorn itself. You can go up either Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise and one could be done in a 1/2 day if the weather is good.
    3. A Swiss Travel Pass covers virtually all forms of transit in Switzerland. If it isn’t fully covered than you can get a discount on the ticket. You can see what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here(including a map and list of attractions).
    4. No special ticket is required for the Glacier Express if you have the Swiss Travel Pass, but you must make seat reservations, which can be done here.

I hope that helps, let us know if you have more questions!

Lucas

IbnEBatuta
    Participant
    4 posts
    2 April 2017 at 6:07:01 #860662

MySwissAlps Team,

Thanks for your response.

We have now finalised the trip and even booked our Flights/ Swiss Pass. We will cover Lucerne-Interlaken-Zermatt-St.Moritz-Zurich over 12 days.

1. What would be the best use of the day we visit Jungfraujoch. I heard that there were multiple routes to get there and we should try going up one way and return by the other for a good experience. My travel agent also advises visiting Trummelbach falls or Schilthorn.

2. We will have the next day free at Interlaken. Is it possible to visit Cheese or Chocolate making around the region on this day ?

3. Given our itinerary/ routing, which would be a good place for visiting a Swiss Watch / Cuckoo Clock Making ? Are there any recommended places to by a authentic Swiss Watch/ Cuckoo Clock

4. We also have a day Free at St. Moritz after reaching there by the day long Glacier express. Any specific sights/ activities you would recommend not missing on this day ?

Rgds,

IbnEBatuta

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2017 at 8:17:03 #860663

HiIbnEBatuta,

1. Yes, there are a few options and you can read about how to get to Jungfraujoch here. I’m not sure I would try and do Schilthorn on the same day, but you could try and do Trümmelbach Falls – they look quite cool!
    2. I’m not aware of any cheese or chocolate factories close to Interlaken. There are good options near Montreux which could be done from Interlaken.
    3. I don’t think you would have a hard time buying either option in most towns of Switzerland. You may want to look for loetscher brand cuckoo clocks as they are well known here. Also Schweizer Heimatwerk is a good option for Swiss-made souvenirs and there is a location in Luzern.
    4. Have you had a chance to read over our St.Moritz information page? There you can find our recommendations.

I hope this helps!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss itinerary – base town suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.