Swiss itinerary Lucerne Interlaken 10 days in June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2016 at 12:35:35 #808503

Hi,

I had posted a question earlier on which I had received a reply but somehow I am not able to find my own thread and there are so many other threads after mine, that I thought I will create a new one and so apologies if I am repeating.

I have the following iternary more or less planned, but wanted to know if this is a feasible trip and not too rushed and whether I have covered the good places/villages in these regions. Is there something in this that I can make it more interesting like taking hikes/alternate routes etc.

• 15th Jun Arrival in Zrh over night in ZRH
    • 16th Jun City tour, Rhine falls, leave for Lucerne
    • 17th Jun Titlis/Pilatus
    • 18th Jun Day trip to Rigi,leave for Interlaken
    • 19th Jun Lake cruise Brenz,Open Air Museum at Ballenberg
    • 20th Jun Interlaken to Schilthorn plus Paragliding and Lauterbrennen valley
    • 21st Jun Interlaken to Grindelwald, Hike to Lake lake bachalpsee and first flier zip line on way back
    • 22nd Jun Interlaken to Juangfrou (Or can decide later)
    • 23rd Jun Interlaken to Montreaux using Golden Pass train, trip to Château de Chillon
    • 24th Jun Rochers de Naye,leave for GVA airport to AMS (Flight at 20:50)

Cheers

Yogi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    29 February 2016 at 13:14:55 #848807

Hello Yogi!

Your previous post is here. I think your itinerary looks fine! It’s varied in terms of regions, towns and activities. Your days will be quite full, but certainly doable. If you want to plan each trip in detail and check traveling times, you’d best use the timetable. Make sure to avoid typos as the timetable may not recognize places otherwise. E.g.: Brienz (not Brenz), Lauterbrunnen (not -brennen), Jungfraujoch (not Juangfrou), Montreux (not Montreaux).

There’s not much I would add if I were you, especially if you don’t want your holidays to feel rushed. You may want to make up some back-up plans in case weather is bad. You’ll find tips on our Lucerne, Interlaken and Montreux pages. Other than what’s listed there, I can recommend the Aare gorge, the Trümmelbach falls, the Beatus caves, the Giessbach falls and the Reichenbach falls for the Interlaken area.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2016 at 14:05:18 #848808

Thanks so much.

Do you think I should cut down on something to make it easy since I definitely do not want to rush through it. Like maybe I could cut down on some mountain. I am also contemplating skipping Zrh and going directly to Lucerne and that gives me some additional time.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 March 2016 at 1:02:14 #848809

Hi Yogi-

Recommending one place over another is always dependent on personal tastes.

So, I offer some opinions, but they are based on my own preferences.

It is a very good idea to plan several days in the Jungfrau region, as you have done. Allows for variable weather.

Jungfrau region –

You might want to consider staying further south in the valley..Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Mürrren, Grindelwald. Interlaken is a great connection point,with lots of accommodation, but has few tourist attractions.

I agree with your thoughts to skip ZRH and Rhinefalls.

I love Zürich,,,,it is my favorite city in Switzerland… But, it takes time to dig into it.. Luzern is much better for a first time tourist.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2016 at 15:05:01 #848810

HI Slowpoke

Thanks for the tips. Yes I am contemplating staying in Grindelwald but is it easier from Grindelwald to go up to the Schilthorn or say Brienz or the Interlaken areas. Also, I enjoy my evenings going for good food and maybe a drink and I hope grindelwald has good options if not as much as Interlaken.

Cheers

Yogi

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 March 2016 at 16:15:05 #848811

Hi Yogi-

Any of the tourist-oriented towns have plenty of choices for food and drink. They range from basic to ultra expensive, the latter especially available in Interlaken. Note that Wengen is only a 15 minute train ride, 2 to 3 times per hour, from Lauterbrunnen.

That includes every town we have named so far, especially if you realize that Lauterbrunnen is very close to Wengen.

For just a little information on Wengen, as well as the rest of the region, look here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

For getting out to Brienz, leaving from Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald are the fastest, but Wengen and Mürren are only about 15-20 minutes longer. All routes outward converge at Zweilütschinen before going onward to Interlaken, thence to Brienz or the rest of the World..

Schilthorn is closer to Lauterbrunnen or Wengen than it is to Grindelwald.

Some maps to help you, especially when combined with the timetable:

grindelwald.ch/daten/p anorama/jungfrauregion _sommer.jpg

map.search.ch/?x=-25944m&y=-26352m&z=16

and –

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Also-

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

If you search on Google for the town names, most have tourist info offices, and usually, lists of hotels and restaurants.

Hope this helps,

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 March 2016 at 16:20:43 #848812

Hi Yogi-

I see you’ll be going up to First on June 15th.

That is pretty much the unofficial start date for opening the summer (hiking) season. High trails – such as to the Bachalpsee may still have some snow on them.

Check locally before you try to make the walk. I hear that the snowfall has been skimpy this year, so there may be no problem with early walks.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Swiss itinerary Lucerne Interlaken 10 days in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.