Swiss itinerary planning 8 days in May

• Dkboss
    Participant
    2 posts
    10 April 2016 at 6:13:13 #808868

Hi- I m finalizing holidays in Swiss and Italy around May 19th – 8 days in Swiss and 4 days in Italy. I will arrive in Zurich and would leave by the Bernina Express Chur to Tirano to Milan. During the Swiss part, I would like to visit Lucerne, Mt Titlis, Interlaken, Jungfrau, Zermatt, Gornergrat, Glacier Express to Chur and from Chur to Tirano.

1. Can I base in Lucerne apartment for 5 nights for Lucerne & Junfrau part? Is it possible to go to Jungfrau and back to Lucerne in a day?

2. In Zermatt , I would like to spend 2 nights . First day Gorengrat and second day Matterhorn.

3. Glacier express to Chur- 1 night and then Bernina Express to Tirano- Milan – onward.

Could you please advise if all the above is possible or would you suggest some other alternatives?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    10 April 2016 at 17:49:11 #850576

Hi Dkboss!

Thanks for your first post here. Yes, your plans would be doable. They do involve quite some train traveling, but the best you can do is consult the timetable for each trip and decide whether you’re fine with the amount of traveling involved. If so, your itinerary is just fine. Here are some further thoughts:

• the Jungfraujoch can indeed be visited as a day trip from Lucerne, but it will be a long day. If you’re not sure whether you like that, you could insert one or two overnight stays in/near Interlaken. Alternatively, you can just focus on the Lucerne region itself, which has more than enough to offer. Consider Rigi and Pilatus for example, plus the other day trips listed here;
    • you can’t visit the Matterhorn itself, but you’re probably referring to Klein Matterhorn?
    • an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass would be a good option for your trip. It will cover all train and boat rides, and it even includes Rigi for free. Panoramic trains like the Glacier Express and Bernina Express are covered too, except from seat reservations.
    • apartments are usually rented by full weeks, mostly from Saturday to Saturday. Exceptions may apply in the off-season, which includes May. If you’re having trouble finding a good apartment, you may look for hotels instead. Hotels close to the railway stations can be found at our Lucerne, Interlaken and Zermatt pages.
  • The thread ‘Swiss itinerary planning 8 days in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.