Swiss Motorway vignette Locarno area for few hours

• alma27
    Participant
    2 posts
    21 June 2015 at 14:26:24 #807430

We are going to tour north italy and spend a cupple of hours in Locarno area.I read about the swiss sticker (vignette??) that is needed to pay for highways or toll routes use only. (roads marked in Green signs), and that you don’t need it for those marked with blue signs.I read that it costs 40 francs I think monthly.I also read they fource you to aquire it once you passed to Swizerland.And I really want to know, if I’m not going to use any highways or toll routes (I’m not sure what you call a Motorway?) just smaller ways, Can I avoid this high payment. to pay for 4-6 hours a month toll……

I would appreciate an aclaration on this issue please,

Alma

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    21 June 2015 at 17:31:03 #843891

Hi Alma,

Thanks for your post! The vignette costs CHF 40 for a whole year. You won’t be forced to buy one unless you enter Switzerland on a motorway, because that’s where they’re required (motorway 2 near Chiasso in your case). If you only use the local roads you don’t need a vignette. For more information and links to further details, please see myswissalps.com/ motorwayvignette.

Have a great trip!

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    21 June 2015 at 20:42:30 #843892

Hello Alma,

Maybe it’s helpful to see the Swiss motorways on a map. On this page http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zolli nfo_privat/04338/04340 /index.html?lang=en of the Swiss Customs Administration you’ll find a “Map of the national roads subject to taxation” under Other infos.

Have some nice hours there!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 June 2015 at 1:15:58 #843893

Thanks for the map.

• The thread ‘Swiss Motorway vignette Locarno area for few hours’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.