Swiss Pass

Swiss Pass

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
1 post
Jul 10, 2013 - 3:56 AM

We are from Singapore. My husband and I together with my son, age 22, will be travelling to Zurich from 4 Sept for two weeks. Upon arrival at Zurich airport, we would like to take a train, using the Swiss rail, to Geneva. We will be staying at Geneva for two days after which we will be taking a flight out to London on 6 Sep for 5 days. We will then fly back to Geneva on 10 Sep where we will touring another five days in Geneva, Switzerland. On 16 Sep, we will be taking the Swiss rail back to Zurich and stay for 1 day before catching our return back to Singapore on 17 Sep.

Would appreciate your advice on the following:
1) What type of Swiss Pass should we purchase based on the above travelling pattern.
2) Can it be used on both bus rides and rails?
3) Can the same Swiss Pass be used from Zurich airport to Geneva and also to tour Geneva and other parts of Switzerland?
4) As we will be going to London for five days from 6 Sep to 10 Sep, would it be cheaper to buy separate passes from 4 -6 Sep and 11 - 16 Sep?
5) Must we make prior booking on the timing of the rail for our intended travelling eg. to and fro from Zurich airport to Geneva.

Many thanks!
7538 posts
expert &
Jul 10, 2013 - 4:24 AM
Hello doreentham, welcome to the Swiss Alps,

1) 4) I would say that a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would fit your plans best. The pass allows free unlimited traveling for 2 to 6 days within one month, and 50% discounts on the other days in between the first and last free travel day. An alternative would be a 15-day Swiss Saver Pass, which allows free unlimited traveling on all days. It's slightly more expensive than a 6-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. Prices can be found through your local reseller in Singapore.
In case of the 15-day Swiss Saver Pass or the 6-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, I would recommend to get those for you and your husband only, as your son can use the 15-day Swiss Youth Pass instead, which is a bit cheaper.
2) Yes, it's valid on all trains, buses, boats and city transport (trams, etc.). Discounts apply to transport into the mountains (cable cars, etc.).
3) It can be used almost everywhere in Switzerland, including the trips you mentioned. You can download the map from the Swiss Flexi Pass page for details.
5) You don't need to book anything else. Just the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would be sufficient. See here for further details.

Hotel suggestions for Geneva can be found here.

Does this answer your questions?
Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 4:34 PM by Arno

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More on

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

© 2002-2016