Swiss Travel Pass for 3 or 4 days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2016 at 9:55:25 #808691

hello

we (me+husband+2yo toddler) will be travelling to swiss on 10-13 may 2016 and my iti is roughly something like this

10 may: reach geneva airport at 10.50am and catch the golden pass panoramic to Interlaken OST and then take train to Lauterbrunnen. we will be based at Lauterbrunnen

11 may : trip to murren/Grindelwald for half of the day then explore Interlaken including Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. Is this can be done in one day?

12 may : catch golden pass train to lucerne at 7am, check in at Lucern backpackers. Planning to complete lake lucern boat cruise to vitznau and take the cogwheel train to mt rigi, Rigi Kulm – Goldau then take train from Arth-Goldau – Lucerne. Is this possible to be done in the same day we reach lucern?need advice please.

13 may : Lucern seight seeing, check-out and then take the golden pass train to geneva to catch flight at 2150. what time should we leave lucern?

I am not sure whether to take 4 days swiss pass or 3 days, can anyone suggest which is the most convenient and economical based on my planned itinerary?

regards

nor

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 March 2016 at 15:21:44 #849708

Hi Nor,

You need a pass for 4 days. Lake Thun and Lake Brienz can be done in one day. On may 13 I guess you have to depart around lunch time, please see the timetable and myswissalps.com/golden pass/gettingthere.

Note that the country’s name is Switzerland and the pass name is Swiss Travel Pass (Swiss Pass is something different): myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2016 at 6:44:40 #849709

Hi Arno/Annika,

Is there a date / time restriction to buying the Swiss Travel Pass ? I was planning to buy a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass today (x 2 nos.) but for some reason need to postpone till 4th April (next Monday). But that would mean just 7 days prior to commencing my journey from India to Europe. Will that be risky or there is no difference / problem (in terms of availability and cost) whether I buy it today or on 4th April ?

Also, I assume the Swiss Travel Pass will be a “Print@Home” Pass and would not require a validation / stamping by the rail personnel or a staff at the station ? I can simply board trains and show the print out along with passport to the ticket personnel ?

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 March 2016 at 7:59:05 #849710

Hi sskundu,

Can you post this in a new thread please?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2016 at 14:31:29 #849711

HelLO Arno,

Thank you for your suggestions. by the way, i have decided to experience the beautiful view from montreux to zweisimmen. I will arrive geneva at roughly around 10.50am, 10 may 2016. I have checked through timetable that the train run from montreux to zweisimmen at different time (13:44,14:44 etc) but with different description (golden pass classic, golden pass panoramic etc).May i know what are the differences between this instead of time? did it go through the same route? I’ve read that for certain trip, it is compulsory to book the seat. Let say i choose to take the golden panoramic classic trip, do i have to make the seat reservation?

Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 April 2016 at 14:50:53 #849712

You’re welcome Nor! It’s just slightly different trains, but they all use the same route. You can just take the one on the time that is convenient for you. For reservation details, please see here: myswissalps.com/ goldenpass/ tickets (short version: you don’t need them unless you’re a big group or want the 1st class VIP seats).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2016 at 12:31:59 #849713

Hello Arno,

Thank you for your response, let say i choose to ride on the selected time which stated it is a panoramic coach, is it compulsory to reserve a seat?what if i didn’t reserve any seat?can i still aboard that train?

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 April 2016 at 12:36:34 #849714

Hi Nor,

You don’t need to book seats, please see my previous post and the included link. Not booking has an advantage as well as you’ll be flexible and can take any train.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass for 3 or 4 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.