Swiss Half Fare Card and Family Card from Italy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2017 at 1:07:05 #810859

1.I see free travel for 6-16 yr old with a family card. How about children under 6 yrs old? Since family card covers 6-16 yr olds, I assume they (under 6) go free anyhow with accompanying parents. But what about seat in Swiss trains and is there a need to include them which booking tickets?
    2. If I order 6 half fare pass for 6 adults and we have 3 kids (two- 14 yrs olds and one 4 yr old) do we need just one family card or ask for 3 free family cards?
    3. I would be travelling from Milan into switzerland. The ticket option allows me to take some discount for part of the journey even if booked on Trenitalia site (as part of the journey is in Switzerland). I can opt for Htx Switzerland..is it same as Swis Half Fare pass?
    4. The same journey allows me to take child fare for kids in the 6-16 age bracket. But does not allow me to book a ticket for the 4 yr old. Any way to figure out what to do for that? One has to pay full adult fare for the 4 yr old or don’t even need a ticket for the 4 yr old?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2017 at 9:16:22 #859208

Hi Viveksinhas and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes under 6 are always free on Swiss trains. You do not include the children when booking. You don’t make seat reservations on Swiss trains – you just buy the ticket for those who need one and find a seat once on the train (exceptions are some long-haul trains).
    2. Take a look at our page on how to use the Swiss Family Card – you will only need one.
    3. Yes, that is the same (half-tax = Swiss half-fare).
    4. Children 0-4 are free if they don’t use a seat and 50% off base offer if using a seat. Please find our page here on buying tickets to/from Italy and Switzerland it might prove helpful to you for buying tickets.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2017 at 11:58:17 #859209

Thanks Lucas.

Just to reclarify:

1. So even with multiple children in the group we would just need to order just one Family Card.

2. And even for mountain trains (Interlaken to Jungfraujoch, Lucerne to Mt Rigi, Lucerne to Mt Titlis, Lucerne to Mt Pilatus) we do not include any of the three kids (one being 4 and 2 being 14 yrs old) while booking train tickets.

3. Is the half fare card also valid on buses and cable cars? And thereby Family Card valid there too?

4. Another Q.. is there any dynamic pricing for Swiss Rail like say Italy or early booking is only for making sure we have a ticket beforehand and it doesn’t matter even if booked on the spot at the station kiosk?

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 March 2017 at 15:21:16 #859210

Hi Viveksinhas,

1. Multiple children can use a single Swiss Family Card. If you go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, you just need to order 6 Swiss Half Fare Cards for the adults and select the number of children that need to use the Swiss Family Card. They will take care of the rest. As Lucas said, children under 6 do not need any card, they travel for free anyway.

2. Yes, correct. The children do not need tickets.

3. Yes, both cards are valid on all modes of transport on the routes on the map.

4. There is no dynamic pricing for point to point tickets. The only exception is the Supersaver ticket, but be careful with those as these are only valid for one train and not refundable. You may find that half fare tickets purchased online are slightly cheaper or slightly more expensive, but that’s mostly just because of exchange rates and prices set by a particular retailer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2017 at 3:08:52 #859211

Thanks Arno,

And is the half fare card also valid on top of super saver tickets? Does that also mean that if I book a normal point to point ticket (not super saver) then even if I book a ticket with a particular time, I can actually board another train on the same route on same day?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2017 at 6:55:08 #859212

Hi Viveksinhas,

Correct, if your ticket is not a Supersaver than you can use it for any train that day.

You can also use the Swiss Half-Fare Card with Supersaver tickets for a little more savings ( but not 50%).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card and Family Card from Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.