Swiss Pass and Jungfra day trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2012 at 2:44:04 #805637

I plan to purchase Swiss Pass with my family only upon arrival in Zurich train station in December but secure the day trip to Jungfra Swiss Alps by purchasing the ticket online in November.
    Please suggest if this is ideal or should I purchase the ticket from the tourist information centre in Zurich?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 September 2012 at 5:33:44 #837276

Hi cndys,

The trip to the Jungfrau does not need to be booked in advance. I would recommend to wait and see what the weather is like, and then purchase your ticket. You can consider to purchase the Swiss Pass in advance though (all options are listed here; be sure to select your country and travelers). It saves time upon arrival in Switzerland, and you’ll be independent of the office opening hours.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2012 at 22:11:49 #837277

Hi Arno,
    Thanks for your prompt suggestion.
    Please advise what about the train journey from Zurich to Zermatt and Zurich to Munich? Not necessary to book train tickets online in advance since I will be purchasing the Swiss Pass?
    I am just concern that I may not be able to board the trains according to my preferred timings….

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 September 2012 at 4:05:33 #837278

Hi cndys,

Zurich to Zermatt does not require a seat reservation. Most domestic train services are not required to book in advance. Trips cross the border do usually need reservations. The timetable shows exactly where you need them.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2012 at 11:24:00 #837279

Hi Arno,
    Thanks for the information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2012 at 3:16:11 #837280

Hi Arno,
    I plan to do 8 days in Switzerland as follows:-

Day 1 – Arrive Zurich, head to Zermatt for 2 nights stay
    Day 3 – Head to Zurich (stay for 5 nights)
    Day 4 – Jungfra day excursion (to join group tour)
    Day 5 – Mt Titlis day excusion (to join group tour)
    Day 6 – Day trip to Lucerne
    Day 7 – Day trip to Interlaken

Please advise which Pass should I purchase online in advance prior to my trip and do the tickets need to be validated before boarding the train to Zermatt?

Where is the best place to book my 2 day tours , upon arrival in Zurich airport?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2012 at 14:53:58 #837281

Swiss saver pass cannot be purchased in Switzerland. It should be bought from your country via online. This pass will facilitate you travel in most of the trains, buses and boats. Wish you a pleasant journey

Annika
    7104 posts
    30 September 2012 at 7:20:22 #837282

Hi cndys. You’ll be traveling quite a lot, so the most convenient solution would be an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass granting free traveling in regular trains, buses and boats throughout your stay. An alternative is a 3 or 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, using free travel days for at least day 1, day 3 and day 7 and discounts on the remaining days. The pass has to be validated before you board the train to Zermatt. Depending on the reseller you choose, you can either do so yourself by writing down the date and some further personal details on the pass, or have it done by a railway official at a station. This is indicated as the ‘quick transfer’ option in the reseller overviews at both the Swiss Pass and the Swiss Flexi Pass page.

I’m not quite sure what you mean with your question about where to book your tours. Accommodation should be booked well in advance prior to your departure to Switzerland. Day trips, e.g. to the Jungfraujoch and Titlis, don’t have to be booked in advance. You can just buy your ticket at the railway station of Zurich before leaving each day. Tickets for the Jungfraujoch can also be bought in Interlaken. Ticket to the Titlis are for sale at the Titlis valley station in Engelberg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2012 at 10:14:56 #837283

Thanks, Annika for the information.

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass and Jungfra day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.