Swiss rail pass for a week in Lauterbrunnen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2016 at 23:42:16 #808392

My husband and I will be traveling to Lauterbrunnen June 6 to June 12 from Germany. We will only be using the train from Lauterbrunnen to Zurich Airport on the return; but, we will be using the cable cars, local trains, etc. in the Interlaken mountain region. Was thinking the Swiss half fare card for one month would be the best . Do you agree? Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 February 2016 at 11:12:01 #848308

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Either a Swiss Half Fare Card, a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland or a Jungfrau Travel Pass will work for you:

It depends on what you will be doing, and whether you like the convenience of not buying tickets for each trip. This page will be helpful too.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2016 at 17:47:35 #848309

Yes, it does! Thank you so very much. I will look into each of those passes and then decide!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2016 at 21:05:25 #848310

I have one more question! My understanding when traveling from Freiburg, Germany to Lauterbrunnen is that we should only pay for a ticket to Basel. When we change trains in Basel our one month swiss pass should kick in for the rest of the journey, correct?

This is a great site! Thank you for your help!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 February 2016 at 22:07:38 #848311

<<“I have one more question! My understanding when traveling from Freiburg,Germany to Lauterbrunnen is that we should only pay for a ticket to Basel. When we change trains in Basel our one month swiss pass should kick in for the rest of the journey, correct?”>>

Hi Cookie-

That may not be correct. If you are using the half-fare card that you suggested at first, once you are in Switzerland, starting at Basel, you need to also have a valid half-fare ticket, which you show the conductor along with the half-fare discount card.

If I recall correctly, that can be figured out at Freiburg and included in the German ticket with the discount for the Swiss portion, but I’m not 100% sure of that….. Or, you can buy that Swiss ticket at Basel SBB station, or online. You can also buy the Freiburg to Lauterbrunnen ticket online from the SBB, in which case,the system checks on whether you have a half-fare card and prices the entire trip with a discount only for the Swiss part.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, instead of the half-fare card, it pays the complete fare inside Switzerland, and you will not have to have a ticket for the Swiss part.

Some of the other combination passes also could cover the leg from Basel to Lauterrbrunnen without the need for a ticket. There are too many of those for me to remember; you got some links from Arno, who (along with Annika) is an expert on that sort of stuff.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 February 2016 at 7:20:07 #848312

Hello Cookie,

A one month Swiss Pass does not exist. Which of the suggested passes do you intend to purchase?

Regarding the Swiss Half Fare Card, please see Slowpoke’s post. With a Swiss Travel Pass you would not need any ticket from Basel on wards, but that one is not in my list of recommended passes for you (of course it is an option).

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass for a week in Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.