Swiss Pass Flex and discounted Mountain Pass

• pooroldman
    Participant
    4 posts
    7 March 2015 at 5:24:27 #806952

I travel to Switzerland in june and will purchase Swiss Travel Pass Flex 3 or 4 days. During stay in Grindelwald, I will purchase Jungfrau Pass valid for 6 days with discounted rate showing Travel Pass Flex and also in Zermatt, will purchase Peak Pass 3 days also with discounted rate. Now in these cases, when we use mountain pass locally, must these dates be counted as “travelling day” on the Swiss Travel Pass Flex also ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 March 2015 at 14:12:22 #841923

Hi pooroldman,

You don’t have to use travel days on your Swiss Travel Pass Flex if you’re traveling with the Jungfrau Railways Pass. In order to travel with the discounted Jungfrau Railways Pass, the only requirement is that you do so between the first and last travel day of your Swiss Travel Pass Flex. I assume it works the same way for the Peak Pass, but I’m not sure if the Swiss Travel Pass Flex gets you a discount on that pass. You can contact Zermatt Tourism to be sure.

You do know about the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi, right? For a small additional amount you’ll get a 50% discount on trips during your stay in Grindelwald and Zermatt. That could work out cheaper than the local passes, but it depends on your travel plans.

pooroldman
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 March 2015 at 0:08:11 #841924

Hello Annika, Thanks for your quick reply. I understand that I don’t have to use Swiss Pass Flex for using Jungfrau mountain pass. Until now some say yes, some say no, so I was not sure which is correct. For Swiss Pass Flex Combi, yes I know that. That might be an another option which I have to figure out.

Annika
    7124 posts
    8 March 2015 at 10:21:14 #841925

Hi pooroldman,

I’ll do a double check for you, but it always worked this way. The Swiss Travel Pass Flex did change as of January 1, so I’ll check again to be 100% sure and let you know if this rule has changed.

In general, the Swiss Travel Pass Flex turns out pretty expensive for many people’s travel plans. The Swiss Travel Pass is usually cheaper, even if not used every day. But your calculations should show what applies to you.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 March 2015 at 8:17:50 #841926

Hi again pooroldman,

I’m glad you mentioned receiving conflicting information about this. That made me look into this again. Although it’s not being mentioned anywhere, I checked with the Jungfrau Railways and the rule did in fact change as of January 1: you now need to use a travel day of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex if you use the discounted Jungfrau Railways Pass. We’ve changed our page to explain about this. Actually this means that the combination of the two passes is no longer viable. You either need to buy a Jungfrau Railways Pass for the regular price, or use the Combi option of the Swiss Travel Pass we discussed before. The latter probably works out cheaper, unless you plan to travel by cable car and mountain train a lot. Doing the math (see the link in my previous post) will reveal the best option.

Thanks for your post and information, and sorry for the inconvenience!

pooroldman
    Participant
    4 posts
    9 March 2015 at 9:13:10 #841927

Hello Annika, Thanks for the reply. I understand what your are saying, so I had better buy a Combi ticket. But for Zermatt Peak Pass, I asked to Zermatt Tourist Office the same thing and got rely as below. This means that discouted Peak Pass is OK to use it without using Swiss Pass Flex. It is very much confusing, isn’t it ? Anyhow I will purchase Swiss Pass Flex Combi or Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi whichever comes out cheaper.

Good morning
    Thank you for your kind answer. It’s obligatory to show the Swiss Pass in the moment
    you buy a Peak Pass or other kind of ticket. Afterwards you do not need the
    Swiss Pass for passing the gate. We wish you a wonderful stay in Zermatt.
    Yours sincerely
    Renate
    Juche
    Juche | Informations- & Reservationszentrale
    Postfach
    378 | CH-3920 Zermatt
    T: +41 (0)27 966 01 01 | F: +41 (0)27 966 01

unquote

Annika
    7124 posts
    10 March 2015 at 10:44:09 #841928

Hello pooroldman,

Yes, sometimes things can be quite confusing if rules are nowhere to be found. I’m glad this is sorted out now. Thanks for sharing your information!

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 March 2015 at 5:49:19 #841929

Sorry to bother you again, but I just read the reply from Zermatt Bergbahnen again and noticed an important detail: they are talking about the “Swiss Pass”. The Swiss Pass does not exist anymore. They probably mean the Swiss Travel Pass. But that’s not the same as the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. You may have asked them about the Swiss Travel Pass Flex and if this is their reply on that, it’s fine. But if you asked about another pass, I would recommend to double check with them. Using the exact pass names matters here.

pooroldman
    Participant
    4 posts
    11 March 2015 at 5:57:50 #841930

Hello Annika, I see what you mean. Well, they may be mistaken using old name of the brand. Anyhow I changed my mind now, I will use Half Fare Combi so that’ll be the no problem. Thanks.

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass Flex and discounted Mountain Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.