Swiss Pass for 4 days trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2013 at 10:09:11 #805761

Hi:

Amazing website you have here with loads of information.

Below is my initial plan:

11/2- Arrive in Zurich and travel to Lucern.( Stay in Lucern)
    12/2- Stay in Lucern
    13/2- Stay in Lucern
    14/2- Travel on Golden Pass to Geneva via Interlaken and Montreux ( Stay in Hotel next to Geneva Airport) – Go around Geneva in the afternoon and evening.
    15/2- Flight out from Geneva to Barcelona early morning

I have not yet finalize activities in Lucern. Looking into Mt Rigi, Mt Pilatus, Mt Titlis, Vierwaldstattersee boat ride, ….

Questions:
    1) Do you recommend I buy the Swiss 4 days pass ( Traveling with my wife- 2 person)

2) Should I stay one day in Interlaken ( 13/2). I don’t ski, but want to see as much of the beautiful scenery and more variety as possible.

thanks..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 January 2013 at 14:20:09 #837947

Welcome thenghong, and thank you for your compliments. The 4 day Swiss Saver Pass would be by far the most convenient option. Most of your trips will be for free, including boat trips over lake Lucerne or the lakes surrounding Interlaken, urban transportation in Zuric, Lucerne and Geneva, the trip up to the Rigi, and so on. You’ll only have to buy additional tickets for mountain trips such as Pilatus and Titlis. Please find more information at the Swiss Pass page. Whether it’s the most economical solution, depends on your final itinerary. If you want to know for sure, you should make calculations (please refer to this explanation) based on an exact list of plans.

You could plan one day in Interlaken. The region is stunning and you could make a boat trip over lake Thun or the scenic train ride up to Kleine Scheidegg.

You may also be interested in these lists of hotels near railway stations:
    Lucerne
    Interlaken
    Geneva Airport

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2013 at 18:32:59 #837948

Hi Thenghong,
    A Swiss pass is not cheap but neither is travel in Switzerland. You need to work out some trips to take using the Swiss rail site or the option on this site.
    Two great trips if you wish to see scenery and don’t mind a 3km or so walk are.
    By boat from Lucerne to Vitznau, then by rack railway to Rigi Kulm, walk back down on the footpath near the railway line you go up, to Rigi Kaltbad then catch the cable car down to Weggis, then boat back to Lucerne. There are several places to eat at the top and the views are superb. Trip is totally free with a Swiss Pass.

By train from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen via Interlaken Ost (super scenery, sit on the right of the train). Catch the cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp then walk to Murren. From here take the cable car to the Schilthorn then go back down to Murren but carry on from there by cable car to Stechelberg. Take the bus from here to Lauterbrunnen to catch the train back. All train travel is free with the pass as is the bus but the cable cars will be 50% of cost.

Hope this is of use, will be there one week before you. Have a great trip.

Phil

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2013 at 22:21:11 #837949

Phil:

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! Sure helps.

I know Interlaken area has really superb scenery, still undecided which route to take. Time is too short for me, too many things to see.

I am kind of worried about the weather during february actually. Will it be too cold to walk around? Me and my wife are from Malaysia, which she has never seen snow before. Even I have seen heavy snow in New York and Japan before is amazed just by looking at photo’s of swiss ALPS.

Which hotel are you staying in Lucern or Interlaken. Booked on Lucern for 2 nights, will be searching for hotel in Interlaken for 1 night.

By the way, is it worth spending more time in Lucern for the festival. I will be in time for the last 2 days of festival.

thanks….

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2013 at 4:20:57 #837950

Hi,
    Sorry don’t know anything about the Lucerne festival.
    It should be cold, but with the way weather is around the world at the moment you just don’t know. My wife and I are expecting temperatures between about -5c and +5c, not too cold for walking around with several layers of clothing. You do need snow or good walking boots though as the paths are usually well cleared but you will still be walking on snow. If we are lucky enough to get a recent snowfall the trees etc. look amazing.
    If you want to email me at <removed> I will send you copies of our daily schedules with timings for the 2 walks I mentioned previously. If you visit http://www.rigi.ch and look at the webcam you can see what the path looks like and the temperatures.
    We are staying at a place called Brunig Hasliberg which is about half way between Lucerne and Interlaken, handy for trips to both areas.
    Here’s hoping the weather will be kind to us all, have a great time.
    Regards,
    Phil

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass for 4 days trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.