Swiss pass or half fare card & Jungfrau pass?

• swisscat
    Participant
    18 posts
    30 May 2014 at 23:58:01 #806410

Still confused about railcards!

We (2 adults, 2 youths and 1 child – 14) will be staying in Wengen for 1 week. We are flying into/out of Geneva but I have discounted the Swiss card as I am prepared to sacrifice the difference in fare/saving for the ability to choose which route we would like to take on the day.

The Swiss pass has the advantage of the youth and saver fares but will cost us more overall. The half fare card and the Jungfrau pass (which we think we may be able to get 10% discount on) will cost less. The half fare card by itself is a gamble depending on the exact trips we will take. I like the idea of (mostly) ticket free travelling on a day to day basis, excluding transfer and the odd mountain trip, particularly as I will always be the one buying them!

I know that Jungfraujoch will be extra for both (25% off for Swiss pass and 50%/special fare with the half fare/JFpass combo, is that right?) but am confused about the Schilthorn – does the Swiss pass offer a discount and if so how much?

Have I missed anything important that will not be covered on either or better on one than the other – buses, cable cars etc.

The furthest we will probably go from the area is probably Bern, Brienz etc.

All help/suggestions welcomed!

Also does anybody have any idea it takes for baggage reclaim, customs etc at Geneva airport arriving at 10.45am from London?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15479 posts
    31 May 2014 at 7:56:55 #840115

Hi Swisscat,

To see what’s included, you can download the map from any of our pass pages, such as the Swiss Pass page. The Schilthorn is 50% off with the Swiss Pass.

To calculate the best overall costs, these instructions should be followed, as suggested by Annika in the other topic. She also suggested to consider the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, which seems to be a good option as it offers ticket free traveling in a larger region than the Jungfrau Pass (the trains to Brienz and Bern are included as well). If the weather isn’t good in the Jungfrau region, you can easily travel elsewhere. The Swiss Pass only includes a few cable cars for free, so if you prefer to have mountain transport included, the Regional Pass or Jungfrau Pass works best.

You can decide once you have done the math and made a decision on which region (large or small) you want to be covered. Please let us know the outcome or if you have further questions. Good luck and have fun!

Arno
    15479 posts
    26 June 2014 at 11:14:25 #840116

Hi swisscat,

Were you able to make a decision? Just let us know if we can offer help.

swisscat
    Participant
    18 posts
    28 June 2014 at 19:29:58 #840117

We’ve decided not to use the Swiss pass or the Swiss card (this only saved a small amount but removed the possibility of taking a different route other than that prescribed) we will however buy the half fare card as this will more than pay for itself in transfer costs and regional pass discounts. The 14 yr old will obviously have the family card.

All we have to do now is choose which regional pass!!

To update with figures – the extra cost for an add on package from our hotel (to include 6 lunches for 5 people and the JF pass for the 4 aged 17+) will be 630 CHF if bought in advance.

The JF passes alone will be 740 CHF if bought later/on arrival plus the cost of lunches (through the hotel these would cost us 375 CHF – although there is a possibility we may end up having to supplement the lunches anyway as we have 3 teenage/adult sons : / !)

Bernese Oberland passes (6 days) would cost us 880 CHF but obviously cover a wider area.

So, do we stick with the lunch/JF pass package and pay extra for trips further afield/otherwise not included in the pass, or do we pay the extra 250 CHF to buy the BO passes and buy lunches separately (hotel cost 375 CHF).

These prices are for all of us and are based on having the half fare card.
    Speedy answers appreciated – I need to decide before Monday if I want to take advantage of the discounted add on package!

Annika
    7115 posts
    29 June 2014 at 8:36:33 #840118

Hello swisscat,

In your case I would say that the Jungfrau Railways Pass + lunch offer is cheaper. Since you have the Swiss Half Fare Card also, trips to destinations outside the area will only be half price.

Enjoy your stay!

Kind regards,

Annika

• The thread ‘Swiss pass or half fare card & Jungfrau pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.