Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card for 10-days?

• teochermaine
    Participant
    2 posts
    29 March 2017 at 4:01:51 #811215

hello, i need some advise on the swiss pass.

i will be in switzerland for 10 days from 7 April

Below is my itinerary

Day 1 – Mt Pilatus

Day 2 – Mt Rigi/Lake Lucerne/Lucerne City

Day 3 – Zermatt

Day 4 – Zermatt (Ski)

Day 5 – Zermatt (Ski)

Day 6 – Glacier 3000

Day 7 – Jungfrau – Schynige Platte

Day 8 – Schilthorn/Murren

Day 9 – Bern

Day 10 – Bern to Zurich Airport for departure

May i ask if i should get the 8 days or 15 days swiss pass? As i noticed its just an incremental cost to get the 15 days but i’m not sure if it is worth it.

Or should i just get a half fare card for this trip?

Would it be a hassle to queue up to buy tickets for the half fare pass or is it relatively easy? Would i be wasting time on it buying tickets everytime?

Also, does the half fare card also provides discount on the scenic train rides?

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2017 at 9:54:42 #860653

Hi Teochermaine and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It looks like a nice itinerary! I would lean to the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass as it saves you time and the hassle of buying tickets for each train (as you would with the Swiss Half Fare Card). As you said, its not too much more over the 8 day pass and then all your days are covered!
    You can also have the STP emailed to you and printed at home so you just hop on a train when you arrive in Switzerland (and an electronic back-up in case of lost passes).

Most train stations have staffed offices to buy individual tickets or passes. Tickets (only) can also be bought at ticket machines located in all stations as well. Its not too difficult as long as you build in time to get tickets for every trip (at least 15 or 20 minutes if you use the offices).

Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card covers panoramic trains as well – reservations for those trains are always extra and mandatory no matter what ticket or pass you have.

Lucas

teochermaine
    Participant
    2 posts
    29 March 2017 at 14:54:16 #860654

Dear Lucas,

Many thanks for your advice. It helps a lot! 🙂

Chermaine

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card for 10-days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.