Swiss Pass or individual tickets for a 5 day stay?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2012 at 1:05:22 #805110

Hi there!
    We are a group of 6adults+1infant(age:4) traveling to Switzerland for 5 nights. Here’s our tentative itinerary:
    16th Aug’12: Arrive in Interlaken from Geneva, late at night (we will be flying into Geneva from Cannes)
    17th Aug’12: At Interlaken; Jungfrauch AM time- Can you suggest any other activity in Interlaken?
    18th Aug’12: Interlaken to Lucerne AM time; travel to Pilatus/Titlis
    19th Aug’12: At Lucerne; Lucerne to Alpnachstad and back- Is there any other activity in Lucerne?
    20th Aug’12: Lucerne-Zurich; Spend the day at Zurich
    21st Aug’12: Zurich-BOM
    For the above travel, would you suggest a Swiss Pass/Swiss Half Fare Card; or, should we buy tickets individually, per sector? Which would be more cost effective?
    Would appreciate any inputs you can provide on the above.
    Many thanks,
    Satish

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2012 at 3:19:30 #835549

Hi satish,
    Individual tickets are very expensive…go for swiss pass or half fare card…after doing the calculation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2012 at 3:49:02 #835550

Thanks Pranithi,

Ive found some of the individual costs on this forum :

– Lucerne – Engelberg (base of Mt. Titlis) – Lucerne: CHF 32.00
    – Engelberg – Mt. Titlis – Engelberg: CHF 82.00
    – Lucerne – Zurich Airport: CHF 27.00
    – Lucerne to Alpnachstad and back by Boat – CHF 38
    – Interlaken-Jungfrauch-Interlaken- CHF ??

I’d like to know if i buy a Swiss pass/Half Fare pass for CHF 100, how much would i end
    up saving. If you have some calculations you can share, it would be very helpful

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    11 April 2012 at 4:02:26 #835551

Hello satish,

If you want to calculate which pass is right for you, you can do so here. Also, check the Swiss Timetable and make sure you’re not checking the reduced prices, so uncheck the half fare possibilities.

I hope this helps!

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 April 2012 at 10:35:30 #835552

Hello satish. A rail pass will definitely save you money. Did you make the calculations using the FAQ Olga referred to? Prices for the Jungfraujoch can be found here, to complete your list. The Swiss Half Fare Card may be a bit cheaper in all. The Swiss Pass on the other hand has the advantage of free traveling (except in mountain transportation), without the need to buy (discounted) tickets for each trip.

Further tips for your days in Interlaken can be found in the Bernese Oberland day trip overview.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2012 at 5:02:58 #835553

Dear Annika, Olga,

Many thanks for your assistance. I have purchased the Half Fare card, which made the most sense to me.

You guys have been great!

Thanks again,
    Satish

[quote]Annika said: Hello satish. A rail pass will definitely save you money. Did you make the calculations using the FAQ Olga referred to? Prices for the Jungfraujoch can be found here, to complete your list. The Swiss Half Fare Card may be a bit cheaper in all. The Swiss Pass on the other hand has the advantage of free traveling (except in mountain transportation), without the need to buy (discounted) tickets for each trip.
    Further tips for your days in Interlaken can be found in the Bernese Oberland day trip overview.[/quote]

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass or individual tickets for a 5 day stay?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.