Swiss pass or Interrail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2014 at 22:52:21 #806345

Hey guys,

I will be traveling to Switzerland this June to visit my friends as well as having sometime to travel alone. However I will need some advice on selecting the passes. I realized that there are 2 different passes. The swiss pass which is relatively more expensive and the interail pass that is relatively cheaper.

My planned itinerary is

Day 1 Zurich
    Day 3 Travel from zurich to Lucerne
    Day 5 Travel from Lucerne to Interlaken
    Day 6 Travel from Interlaken to Bern
    Day 7 Travel from Bern to Montreux (subject to change)
    Day 9 Travel from Montreux to Basel (subject to change)

Can somebody please advise me if I will be able to travel between these places with the inter rail pass? or do I need a swiss flex pass for this. I will also greatly appreciate if you are able to give me some suggestions on my itinerary! Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    8 May 2014 at 9:06:37 #839877

Hi Teng 72,

Welcome to the site! Well, there are a lot more passes than two, and you can find them here. InterRail is not included in that overview, but it’s more or less similar to the Eurail Passes. The main difference is that Interrail is for European citizens and Eurail for anyone else.

When comparing the Swiss Pass to Interrail, the main difference is not in the train coverage. All your transfers are covered by both. The Swiss Pass includes much more discounts on mountain trips (cable cars, cogwheel trains, etc.), also includes buses and city transport, and free entrance to museums. That’s why it’s more expensive. The mountain trips are quite expensive, so it helps a lot to get a discount there. Once you have all the details of your trip, you can choose a pass as explained here. See the Swiss Pass page for what’s included, how it works, prices and more. Be sure to take a look at the Swiss Peak Pass as well, as it offers free traveling to several mountains along your route: Brienzer Rothorn and Niesen near Interlaken and Rochers-de-Naye near Montreux.

Further information and hotel suggestions can be found on the pages of Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Montreux and Basel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2014 at 22:40:12 #839878

Hi! thanks for the reply! I will be sure the check them out 🙂

• The thread ‘Swiss pass or Interrail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.