Swiss Pass or Single Ticket?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2012 at 12:57:50 #804855

Hi there,

This is my first time traveling to Switzerland and I am very excited planning on my budgeted holiday. However I am have some questions in terms of how could I fully utilize my Swiss Youth Pass. (I think I am eligible for this as the time I am only turning 26 in April but I am traveling in March) 😉

Below are my planned journey

12/3/2012 – Stay one day in Zurich
    13/3/2012 – Travel to Lucern in the evening (around 6pm)
    14/3/2012 – Sight seeing at Lucern during the day and in the evening around 6pm will take train travel to Interlaken
    15/3/2012 – In the morning we will be taking the train to Jungfraujoch (day trip) and return to Interlaken with the last train of the day.
    16/3/2012 – Spend the morning in Interlaken and late afternoon around 3-4pm we are thinking to take Train to Chur
    17/3/2012 – From Chur in the morning we will take the Bernina Express to Tirano, and from there we will buy another train ticket to Venice.

I know this sound rather exhausting but had no choice as my friend traveling with me could only get these few days off work and these are the few places we both would like to go (We have reluctantly taken off Bern as there is really no additional slot for this beautiful City). Anyway, my question is…

1) Youth pass that cost 200CHF only valid for 4 days, whilst I am going to be in Switzerland for 6 days before leaving for Venice. I don’t know which day should I start using it to make it cheaper for my journey. If I start from the 14th/3/2012 then I will need to pay for my ticket Zurich Airport to City centre + Train ticket to Lucern on the 13th evening. But if I start using my pass on the day I reach Zurich 12/3/2012 then the pass only valid until 15/3/2012 which means I need to pay my ticket from Interlaken-Chur. Also assuming that with the Swiss Youth Pass it is free for Bernina Express so meaning on the 17/3/2012 as my pass no longer valid I need to purchase a separate ticket for Bernina Express?

2) From my itinerary do you think it’s best for me to just buy a single train ticket everywhere I go or should I just stick to the pass, enjoy the benefit it offers i.e. 25%discount to Jungfraujoch and free Bernina Express scenic train; but pay the extra for my transport from Zurich Airport to City + Train ticket from Zurich to Lucern?

3)If I am going to buy the Swiss Youth Pass is it better for me to buy online and get it sent to where I live? (I currently live in United Kingdom).

4) How do I reserve seats for Bernina Express? http://www.rhb.ch/Ticket-Shop.1125.0.html?&L=4.
    The above website that I tried to reserve seats doesn’t have any option for me to choose I have the pass and thus it always charges me the full fare rather than just the 9CHF reservation cost.

5) I know regardless I will have to pay for my train ticket from Tirano to Venice but is there any discount offered if I hold the Swiss Youth Pass?

Thank you very much for your reply. As I have really tried reading various websites to obtain as much information as possible but if you could answer my queries I will highly appreciate it!

Angelina

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 January 2012 at 14:18:14 #834679

Hello Angelina! I understand your questions concerning the 4 day Swiss Youth Pass. Since 2 out of the 6 days won’t be covered, this isn’t an ideal solution. If you would want to use this pass, you could best start its validity at 14/3, since your longest and most expensive trips will take place in the last days of your stay.

Will you be traveling along with your friend the entire time? In that case you can opt for a Saver Pass as well. If you plan to travel together, you could consider a 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass starting at 13/3. Free travel days can be used on 13/3, 16/3 and 17/3, and 50% or (in case of the Jungfraujoch trip) 25% reduction on 14/3 and 15/3. A ZurichCard could fit your needs for 12/3. None of the Swiss rail passes will provide any further discounts on your trip from Tirano to Venice.

As for purchase options: just get to the detail page of one of the passes (the ones I just linked to) and enter the UK as your country of residence in the upper right corner. Next, you’ll get to see all relevant purchase options including prices. As you can see, an online purchase is only slightly more expensive than a local purchase, but does allow you to pay in GBP. And you won’t have to spend time buying your pass once you’re in Zurich.

As for seat reservations: the Bernina Express seat reservation website doesn’t seem to run smoothly at the moment. I suggest that you send an e-mail to the Rhätische Bahn requesting seat reservations for two Swiss (Flexi) Pass holders on 17/3.

Does that help you out? Best regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2012 at 22:23:39 #834680

Hi Annika,

Thank you very much for your informative reply. After your recommendation I have gone to read more details about the Swiss Flexi Pass. I am travelling all along with my friend so in theory I could purchase the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass but my understanding is the Youth Pass is 200 CHF, while the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass is 216 CHF. If we could save up more using this pass then we don’t mind to pay the extra 16CHF. But, could I please ask in your opinion does it work out cheaper if we buy the Youth Pass that cost 200CHF per person and use it the last 4 days of our stay in Switzerland and pay the extra for:-
    1. Train from Zurich to Lucern on the 13th (only start using from 14th – 17th).

OR

Purchase the 3 days Swiss Flexi Saver Pass and pay the extra cost for: –
    1. Transportation i.e buses, boats or trams while we are visiting within each of the Cities +
    2. Train from Lucerne to Interlaken (as I am going to Interlaken on the 14th while your suggestion was to use it on the 13th, 16th, 17th).

Thank you for the information regarding Bernina Express. I will try to email them as you suggested after I have purchase my pass (which I am still indecisive whether to choose Youth Pass or Swiss Saver Flexi Pass).

Angelina

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 January 2012 at 14:40:11 #834681

Hi Angelina! That’s a very close call. In all, the 4 day Swiss Youth is a just bit cheaper, provided of course that you don’t do a lot of traveling during the first two days as they aren’t covered. I hope that helps you decide!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2012 at 20:10:39 #834682

Hi Annika,

Yes I agree with you it is a very close call. Thank you once again for all your valuable information. I shall do some extra research and get all my bookings sorted.

Angelina

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass or Single Ticket?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.