Swiss Pass or Swiss Card or Half Rail – have car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2016 at 16:47:49 #808802

I am looking to travel from Blackforest to Bern and then Interlaken then Lucerne and then to Como Lake Italy. I will be travelling via car as I will be hiring a rental car for the whole trip. I am keeping 4-5 days for Bern to Lucern including all montains and main places. Can anyone help me which pass would be better for me as I have car too.

Swiss pass or Swiss card or Half ticket pass? Where can I go via my car?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 April 2016 at 17:08:49 #850282

Hi Irish2swiss,

Most drivers buy a Swiss Half Fare Card: http://www.myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard. I think that’s your best option as well if you decide to drive. It will get you a 50% discount on most trips by cable car, mountain train and boat. A car is not really necessary in Switzerland, and pretty uncomfortable in larger towns like Bern and Lucerne. A car could make sense in the Black Forest in Germany.

The Swiss Pass and Swiss Card no longer exist. The Swiss Travel Pass replaced the Swiss Pass, and the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi replaced the Swiss Card. You don’t need these if you’ll be driving though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2016 at 18:59:41 #850283

My Itiearnanry is:

1st Day: Black Forest + Bern

2nd Day: Interlaken region

3rd Day: Interlaken region

4th Day: Lucern

5th Day: Zermatt + Lugano + Como Lake

6th Day: Como lake + Venice

1. If I buy Half fare card, will I be able to get the Train for Jungfrau? I meant to say is it not the case that we have to book way in advance for Jungfrau train? It might booked out in advance? Is Half fare card gives 50% discount to Jungfrau? Can one Half fare card be used to buy tickets for 2 people? Can tickets be bought on same day for example, ticket to Wengen?

2. I have allocated 2 full days for Interlaken area. and 1 day for Lucern. One day I am planning to go Jungfrau so any ideas what we can do second day in Interlaken? What might be best? ANd for third day in Lucern any ideas? Mt. Titlis or any other place – Pillatus?

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 April 2016 at 5:59:40 #850284

Hello Irish2swiss,

1. Yes, Jungfraujoch is discounted as well. Please click “Where it’s valid” on the page Annika gave you. Booking the Jungfraujoch trip in advance is usually not required. See the “Tickets” tab on the same page. You need a Swiss Half Fare Card for each adult. You can print it at home by going to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and selecting “Online Ticket” when they ask for a delivery option.

2. Activities suggestions are here:

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass or Swiss Card or Half Rail – have car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.