Swiss Pass or Swiss Saver Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2010 at 6:58:06 #804043

Hello,

My wife and I are going to spend two weeks in Switzerland with our two kids. We will be staying in Interlaken and we are planning to hike as often as we can. But we also want to travel as much as we can, we were never in Switzerland before so we are very eager to explore. Now there’s a small problem ;-). My wife and our son like to do other things than me and our daughter. That will be no problem, you can be sure we have an excellent relationship!
    And now my question: we already decided to buy a Swiss Pass or a Swiss Saver Pass. We know that our children will travel for free, if accompanied by me or my wife.
    Can we travel separately with a Swiss Saver Pass, or do we have to purchase two Swiss Passes in our case? As far as I can see that will be necessary, but I just want to make sure.

Thank you in advance.

Andrew

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    10 July 2010 at 10:08:46 #831936

Hello Andrew,

You are right. If you want to travel separately, just one of you can use a Swiss Saver Pass. You or your wife may consider to buy point to point tickets while the other one is using the Pass, but if you really want to travel as much as you can – as you indicate – I really doubt if the price difference between a Swiss Pass and a Swiss Saver Pass will be covered by the price of point to point tickets.
    So yes, if I were you…

I wish you lots of fun in Switzerland, and I hope this beautiful country will be as overwhelming to you as it was and still is to me!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2010 at 10:58:26 #831937

Hello Olga,

Thank you for your answer. I already presumed this would be the right way, but obvilously great minds think alike! 🙂

Yes, I’m expecting it will be overwhelming, and I’m hoping so too!

Thanks again,

Andrew and family

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2010 at 4:34:48 #831938

Hi! Just need to clear my mind about this swiss pass and swiss saver pass, can this swiss saver pass be use for 2 adults + kid 10years old. Or what would you recommend me. I’m staying in swiss for 8days. Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 November 2010 at 4:44:19 #831939

Hi ryanmegadeth,

Yes, the Swiss Saver Pass can most definitely be used by 2 adults, and the child will travel along for free with the free Swiss Family Card you can order along. The 8-day pass would be ideal for your stay. If you want to review the other passes, please take a look at the rail pass overview.

Happy traveling!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2010 at 8:50:33 #831940

Thanks Arno for the info, btw how come when i tried to book the family pass(in singapore) through this pricebreaker(http://www.pricebreaker.travel/), the receptionist told me the 2nd class is fully book, only 1st class is available. I don’t understand?

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 November 2010 at 9:05:59 #831941

Hi ryanmegadeth,

I don’t know that reseller, but I think there’s some confusion about the exact passes you need.

The Family Pass is a free add on ticket for families, to allow their children to travel along for free if the parents have a valid rail pass such as the Swiss Saver Pass. The Family Pass is valid for any class and cannot be sold out. The Swiss Saver Pass can be purchased for either 2nd class or 1st class. It cannot be sold out either. Only seat reservations can be sold out when a specific train is fully booked in 1st and/or 2nd class.

The Swiss Saver Pass can be purchased via our website as well (click Singapore and follow the instructions). The Family Pass cannot be ordered along from Singapore, but you can just get one for free at a rail station in Switzerland if you show your pass.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2010 at 10:15:46 #831942

Well Arno, now i got that clear, most probably due to the reseller submitted along with the family pass, i need to inform them about that. Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass or Swiss Saver Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.