Swiss Travel Pass - does it cover all my routes?

Swiss Travel Pass - does it cover all my routes?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
rounak
rounak
3 posts
Jul 25, 2017 - 9:03 PM

Hi Guys,

Can anybody please help me with the below query? I'm still in doubt about Swiss Rail Pass :

If I book swiss pass for 8days in 2nd class

Do I need to book ticket for the following journey or I can just catch the train with my swiss pass

1. Basel to Interlaken

2. Interlaken to Lucerne

3. Lucerne to Zurich

4. Interlaken OST - Lauterbrunnen - Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch

5. Jungfraujoch - Kleine Scheidegg - Grindelward

6. Lucerne - Engelberg - Mount Titlis

7. Zurich - Neuhausen Rheinfall

Thanks in advance.

Rounak.

ben
ben
11 posts
Jul 25, 2017 - 11:28 PM in reply to rounak

Hi Rounak,

When you say 'Swiss Rail Pass', perhaps i think you refer to Swiss Travel Pass (STP). The benefit of a STP means that you don't need to buy a ticket for any journey that is covered entirely by the STP. Just show your STP and you are good to go.

However, a number of cable cars and trains journeys are not 100% free with the STP. They might be discounted either 50% or 25% or not at all. For these, you will need to buy a ticket. Majority of them are detailed in the link below, which i would highly recommend you have a look.

www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

For example, the ever popular Jungfraubahn to Jungfraujoch, with an STP you receive a 25% discount. Yes, you need to buy a ticket.

Journeys 1-3 & 7 are covered entirely by STP, so to answer your question, no ticket required if you have a valid STP.

Journey 6 , its free until Engelberg. Then you have to buy a ticket for the 360 degree rotating cable car up to Mt Titlis. You get a 50% discount with a valid STP.

I'm not too sure about journeys 4&5, i know its free up until a certain point, certainly until both Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald, and as mentioned above, you have to buy a ticket up to Jungfrau and you get a 25% discount with a valid STP.

Best Regards,

Ben

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
895 posts
top member
Jul 26, 2017 - 5:10 AM in reply to rounak

Hi rounak, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> 4. Interlaken OST - Lauterbrunnen - Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch

Travel as far as Wengen (which is between Lauterbrunnen and Kleine Scheidegg) is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. For the sectors Wengen > Kleine Scheidegg > Jungfraujoch you get a 25% discount when you buy the ticket

5. Jungfraujoch - Kleine Scheidegg - Grindelward

You get a 25% discount with the Swiss Travel Pass on the ticket price for this route.

Alpenrose

rounak
rounak
3 posts
Jul 26, 2017 - 11:50 AM in reply to ben

Hi Ben,

Now it is 100% clear to me.

Many many thanks to you.

Rounak.

rounak
rounak
3 posts
Jul 26, 2017 - 11:51 AM in reply to Alpenrose666

Thanks a lot Alpenrose.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017