Swiss Travel Pass – does it cover all my routes?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 21:03:08 #812743

Hi Guys,

Can anybody please help me with the below query? I’m still in doubt about Swiss Rail Pass :

If I book swiss pass for 8days in 2nd class

Do I need to book ticket for the following journey or I can just catch the train with my swiss pass

1. Basel to Interlaken

2. Interlaken to Lucerne

3. Lucerne to Zurich

4. Interlaken OST – Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch

5. Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelward

6. Lucerne – Engelberg – Mount Titlis

7. Zurich – Neuhausen Rheinfall

Thanks in advance.

Rounak.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 23:28:15 #867379

Hi Rounak,

When you say ‘Swiss Rail Pass’, perhaps i think you refer to Swiss Travel Pass (STP). The benefit of a STP means that you don’t need to buy a ticket for any journey that is covered entirely by the STP. Just show your STP and you are good to go.

However, a number of cable cars and trains journeys are not 100% free with the STP. They might be discounted either 50% or 25% or not at all. For these, you will need to buy a ticket. Majority of them are detailed in the link below, which i would highly recommend you have a look.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

For example, the ever popular Jungfraubahn to Jungfraujoch, with an STP you receive a 25% discount. Yes, you need to buy a ticket.

Journeys 1-3 & 7 are covered entirely by STP, so to answer your question, no ticket required if you have a valid STP.

Journey 6 , its free until Engelberg. Then you have to buy a ticket for the 360 degree rotating cable car up to Mt Titlis. You get a 50% discount with a valid STP.

I’m not too sure about journeys 4&5, i know its free up until a certain point, certainly until both Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald, and as mentioned above, you have to buy a ticket up to Jungfrau and you get a 25% discount with a valid STP.

Best Regards,

Ben

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 5:10:35 #867380

Hi rounak, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> 4. Interlaken OST – Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch

Travel as far as Wengen (which is between Lauterbrunnen and Kleine Scheidegg) is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. For the sectors Wengen > Kleine Scheidegg > Jungfraujoch you get a 25% discount when you buy the ticket

5. Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelward

You get a 25% discount with the Swiss Travel Pass on the ticket price for this route.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 11:50:20 #867381

Hi Ben,

Now it is 100% clear to me.

Many many thanks to you.

Rounak.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 11:51:45 #867382

Thanks a lot Alpenrose.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – does it cover all my routes?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.