Swiss Pass / Swiss Card / Swiss Half Fare Card ??

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2013 at 8:13:15 #806077

Hi All,

Apologies at the outset for the long message and series of questions !

I am confused between which of the Swiss Pass / Swiss Card / Swiss Half Fare Card should I take for my trip to Switzerland with the following itinerary

Travelling with my wife (2 adults no kids)

7th Aug – Reach Austria
    11th August – Salzburg to Lucerne
    12th Aug – Lucerne to Jungfrau via Interlaken (or any other route if you suggest)
    13th Aug – Mt Titlis (Via Engelberg I presume)
    14th Aug – Lucerne to Zurich
    15th Aug – Zurich to Zurich Airport in the evening

Another Question – My most expensive travel would be from Salzburg to Lucerne (I will be buying the Austria Pass). I checked that irrespective of which of the 3 swiss travel card options I take, the cost is only EUR 7 (reservation charge).

I understand that with the Swiss Pass for 4 days, the train travel is unlimited and free. Correct me if I am wrong

Also, is the Swiss Half Fare Card any different from Swiss Card in terms of train travel within Switzerland ?

What would be the rates from Lucerne to Interlaken for one person in 2nd class using the Swiss Half Fare Card ?

Thanks for the assistance in advance

Sam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 June 2013 at 10:33:06 #838969

Hi Sam, welcome to MySwissAlps,

At first glance it looks like the Swiss Half Fare Card could be the cheapest option. You have to make some calculations to be sure. If you’re looking for the most convenient option, a 4-day Swiss Pass (August 11 to 14) is the best option. In that case you don’t need any other ticket for your trip from Austria to Lucerne. We have pages about all the passes, so you can read about all the differences there. Network maps of what’s covered can be downloaded there, and purchase options are listed as well.

There’s also a pass that combines both countries, which is available to non-European travelers.

Please let me know where you are from in case you have further questions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2013 at 11:27:44 #838970

Many Thanks Arno. Apologies for not mentioning it earlier. I am an Indian Citizen.

Is there any difference between Swiss Card and Swiss Half Fare Card in terms of train ticket costs for travel within Switzerland.

Thanks again
    Sam

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 June 2013 at 12:22:21 #838971

You’re welcome Sam! The difference is in the first and last day, where the Swiss Card offers free traveling, whereas with the Swiss Half Fare Card you need to buy tickets for all trips. The Swiss Card is not a good choice though, as the trips on your first and last day are relatively short; the additional amount you’d pay for a Swiss Card does not make up for that. It’s only economical in case of longer trips.

I would advice to choose between the 4-day Swiss Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card. Since you’re from India, you can get the Swiss Pass here and get a discount on it through these promo codes. I expect more promotions to be available soon, so just keep an eye on this website and/or subscribe to new forum topics through your account. It that case you’ll be updated about the details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2013 at 6:29:25 #838972

Thanks Arno for the help. I think the Half Fare Card makes more sense. Hope it would be considered at both Titlis and Jungfrau and the stations within Switzerland. I believe I will have to pay only the reservation fee for my travel from Salzburg to Lucerne if I have a valid Swiss Half Fare Card.
    Regards
    Sam

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 June 2013 at 6:48:58 #838973

Hi Sam,

You can download the map from the Swiss Half Fare Card page to see where it will be accepted. If you end up choosing the Austria Pass (details are here) and the Swiss Half Fare Card, you will need to buy a ticket for each trip in Switzerland, so also for the leg between the Swiss border and Lucerne.

Hotels in Lucerne, near the rail station and town center, can be found here. For Zurich, please see this page.

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass / Swiss Card / Swiss Half Fare Card ??’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.