Swiss pass Usage

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2012 at 3:53:04 #804854

Hi

I will be travelling from Milan to Basel. Journey start at 19:45 and end in Basel at 00:59. From the TrenItallia there is an option to buy cheaper ticket @ Euro 15 if we have a Swiss pass and i need to provide swiss pass card number

My question is : Does this counted as one day usage of the pass or i can still start using the pass from the next morning when i arrive in Basel.

I have a another question : I am visiting for 5 days . Does a 4 days Swiss pass and 5th day ( basel to Zurich) and local Zurich sightseen and then to airport. is cheaper or a 5 days swiss Flexi pass is a better option . I need to take a flight back on the 5th Night. I am travelling with child who is 7 years so taking swiss card (free) for the first 4 days . Now i need to decide on the 5th day. which opiton is cheaper .

Regards

Vikas

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    18 January 2012 at 12:56:12 #834673

Hello Vikas! Yes, you need a valid Swiss Pass to use this Trenitalia offer. However, it may be cheaper not to use the offer and just buy a regular ticket Milano-Domodossola (which is about CHF 11 / EUR 9.12), and then use your valid Swiss Pass for the free Swiss leg of the trip up to Basel. I don’t know what’s included in the Trenitalia offer though, so I can’t make a good comparison.

As for the 5th day: it will probably be cheaper to buy regular tickets for your trip from Basel to Zurich. For sightseeing in Zurich, the 24h ZurichCard may be convenient.

If you start using your Swiss Pass during the inbound trip from Italy, and want to have the first 4 days covered during your actual stay in Switzerland (that is, if I understand your travel plan correctly), you can of course still consider a 5 day Swiss Flexi Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2012 at 22:32:37 #834674

Thanks Annika, For the regualr ticket from Basel to Zurich , would i be entitled for a half price fare or it has to be full price CHF 31.00.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2012 at 1:19:23 #834675

Annika
    I also want to check if there is simlar card ( like Zurich card) fro Geneva. In that case i can come from Milan to Geneva and after one day in geneva can use a four day pass for switzerland and then from Zurich can take a flight back.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 January 2012 at 2:33:18 #834676

Hi Vikas,

There is free public transportation in Geneva with the Geneva Transport Card. If your trip Basel – Zurich is on the 5th day you have to pay the full price as your 4-day Swiss Pass is expired. A Swiss Pass offers traveling on consecutive days. A Swiss Flexi Pass can be used for up to a month on non-consecutive days. Please keep in mind that the child will only travel for free if you have a valid Swiss (Flexi) Pass plus the associated Family Card. The Family Card is not valid with an expired pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2012 at 6:23:43 #834677

Hi. Is Swiss card is better than Swiss pass in my case. I will enter Swiss from Milan stay in Basel for 4 night . I will cover interlaken Lucerne mt tilts Geneva etc and on the 5tfh day go to Zurich and take a flight back. For all the sight seen I will do up and down from Basel. Please suggest if Swiss card can be used instead of Swiss pass. And if that would be chaperon option.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 January 2012 at 15:46:50 #834678

Hi Vikas,

For the amount of traveling you’ve planned, a Swiss Pass is far more convenient than a Swiss Card. And ‘m quite sure it turns out cheaper as well (a Swiss Pass also includes museums and urban transportation for free). This is how to calculate exactly.

• The thread ‘Swiss pass Usage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.