Swiss Pass vs Bernese Oberland Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2016 at 15:40:29 #809162

I am trying to decide between the Swiss Pass and the regional pass. We will be staying in Lucerne for 1 night then heading to Wengen for 3 nights via the Golden Pass train. There are 5 of us (only one is under 16 years of age). Both passes seem to cover the train ride. I am finding conflicting information on what discounts are given on the cable cars. Are cable cars covered in full no matter how high up one goes with the regional pass? With a Swiss Pass is it a 50% or 25% discount above Wengen & Grindelwald? Also, is there any sort of discount for students for the Bernese Oberland Pass – I am only finding an adult fare. I am trying to figure out which works out to be more economical if we visit Jungfrau, First, Mannlichen and the Aletsch Glacier so clarification on what is exactly covered would be much appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 May 2016 at 16:25:38 #851841

Hi macyclaire,

The Swiss Pass is for Swiss citizens only; it’s the Swiss Travel Pass you may need. In order to compare, I’d recommend to check these pages:

Be sure to click to all the tabs of the pass pages. You’ll find all details about what’s covered, discounts, where to buy, how it works, etc. There should be no conflicting information there, but if so, feel free to let us know.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2016 at 14:46:39 #851842

Thank you, Arno. If I am reading the map correctly (a skill I do not possess much of), then it seems that the cablecars to Mannlichen & First are not covered by the Bernese Oberland Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2016 at 16:07:01 #851843

Arno,

Can you clear some more confusion for me? I see on the map that the train from Interlaken to Fiesch has portions that are covered in full and portions that are reduced fair. How does this work? I thought the train ride to Fiesch was free but if only parts are free, how do I buy this ticket???

Annika
    7104 posts
    11 May 2016 at 16:47:46 #851844

Hi macyclaire,

Both Männlichen and First are fully covered by the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. A solid line indicates free traveling.

Assuming your question about Fiesch-Brig also concerns the Regional-Pass: it’s for free as far as Brig and 50% discounted between Brig and Fiesch. You can buy a discounted return ticket Brig-Fiesch from any rail station/ticketing machine. Note that you have to travel via Kandersteg-Goppenstein, as the tunnel connection via Frutigen and Visp isn’t covered by the Regional-Pass. If you want to find such connections in the timetable, enter “Goppenstein” as a via-station.

In case your question is about the Swiss Travel Pass validity map: note that there’s a difference between dotted lines indicating discounted traveling and striped lines indicating tunnels (e.g. Frutigen-Visp) that are fully covered.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2016 at 17:11:55 #851845

Thank you, Annika. I am so bad with maps!!

1. So Mannlichen & First are fully covered with Bernese Oberland Pass and 50% covered with Swiss Travel Pass?
    2. Yes, those striped lines confused me. So am I correct in saying that if I want to go to Eggishorn,the trip is fully covered from Interlaken to Fiesch with the Swiss Pass?

Thank you all so much for your help – this site has been invaluable in helping me plan my trip – I consult it on a daily basis!!!!

Annika
    7104 posts
    11 May 2016 at 17:29:07 #851846

I’m glad it’s all helpful to you!

1. Yes, correct.
    2. I assume you mean the Swiss Travel Pass; Swiss Pass is something different. Interlaken to Fiesch is fully covered with the Swiss Travel Pass.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2016 at 18:04:38 #851847

Thank you, Annika!!

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass vs Bernese Oberland Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.