Dear Sir,

My draft iternary (in mid-Aug) is as follows:

Day 1, Zurich HB -> Schaffhausen, Schaffhausen -> Zurich HB
    Day 2, Zurich -> Bern, Bern -> Geneva
    Day 3, Geneva -> Lausanne, Lausanne -> Montreux
    Day 4, Montreux -> Zweisimmen, Zweisimmen -> Interlaken
    Day 5, Interlaken -> Jungfraujoch -> Interlaken
    Day 6, Interlaken -> Luzern, Luzern -> Basel

I got a special birthday offer at Day 5, so I think no need to consider that day. I just wonder whether a swiss saver flexi pass or half-fare card has more saving for my trip. Besides, how to consider transportation cost within cities? I heard some are free if staying overnight, is it true (for all cities)? Apart from no need to buy tickets and free entry of Museums, are there any other critical benefits from swiss pass? Many thanks.

Conan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 July 2012 at 12:50:20 #836563

Hello Conan, and welcome to the forum! I’d consider a 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass if I were you. Its flexibility, the option to travel for free wherever you want on 4 days, the free entry to museums, and so on, are great advantages. It is true that the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass offers a 25% discount on the Jungfraujoch whereas the Swiss Half Fare Card offers a 50% discount, but apparantly you can use another offer for your Jungfraujoch trip, so that should be no problem. Moreover, there are some days with long and expensive train trips in your itinerary, causing the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass to be an economical choice. I think you should use free travel days for day 1, 2, 4 and 6. Urban transportation will be for free on free travel days and discounted by 50% on the remaining days. Some cities offer free traveling to hotel guests indeed. If so, this is mentioned at our hotel pages of Zurich, Geneva, Interlaken and Basel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2012 at 20:32:17 #836564

Hi Arno, Thanks for your advice. Sorry that I forgot to mention on Day 3, I plan to take a panoramic cruise from Geneva via Lausanne to Montreux, does it make difference to your suggestion? I have checked the fee at SBB homepage. I saw “Reduced” option is always ticked (e.g. Zurich to Bern, 2nd class, CHF23.50). Does it assume I have got swiss pass or half-fare card? Is it easy to buy tickets at the station, or will the train always be full (do I need to book in advance)? Thanks. Conan

Annika
    7103 posts
    3 July 2012 at 15:01:47 #836565

Hi Conan! A Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would be the best deal in your case. The 4 day variant would be fine. You should calculate whether it’s cheaper to pay for a 5 day variant and use an additional travel day for your cruise on day 3, or to use a 4 day pass and buy 50% discounted tickets for the cruise. Personally I think the 4 day variant will turn out to be cheaper.

The discounted fares displayed by the timetable are for those using a pass, such as a Swiss Half Fare Card or discounted days on a Swiss Flexi Pass. During your free travel days, most trips by train, bus and boat will be for free. If you want to see regular non-discounted fares, just untick this half-fare box. The (discounted) tickets you need can be purchased on railway stations right before boarding. You don’t have to reserve seats in advance.

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass vs Half-fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.