Swiss Travel Pass worth every penny

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 4:40:53 #811980

We have just returned from 15 days in Switzerland and I am so glad we purchased the Swiss Travel Pass. We paid approx $1,200 Aus Dollars for the pass and we kept notes on how much each trip would have cost us without the pass and the cost would have been $2,500 Aust Dollars. It was so easy to use, no queues and no hassles and we could use all the way to Domodossola, where we changed for Milan. Switzerland is very very expensive for public transport. The railways, bus staff are absolutely wonderful so helpful, nothing was too much trouble.

I WAS ASHAMED OF HOW MANY TOURISTS JUST DROP THEIR BUTTS AND RUBBISH ON THE GROUND INCLUDING ON THE SNOW. WE ARE VISITORS TO THEIR COUNTRY PLEASE RESPECT THEIR PRISTINE ENVIRONMENT PICK UP YOUR RUBBISH OR TAKE IT WITH YOU

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 9:13:02 #863949

Hi ConnieCat,

Glad to hear your trip was a success and the Swiss Travel Pass was a good value for you! It usually is!

It is unfortunate that tourists (and some locals) leave garbage on the road/trails – it seems hard to avoid in any country. I agree with cigarette butts! No one in any country seems to think twice about throwing them on the road/sidewalk. At least in Switzerland, city workers work hard every night to clean up the streets and you don’t often notice it.

If you are interested (and have the time in the future) we would love to get a trip report from you for the trip.
    I’m sure everyone would it extremely helpful! (I’ve moved this to the trip report forum as well).

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 May 2017 at 20:38:15 #863950

Hi Connicat-

your rail costs were 48% of the full-fare price, and you had a 15 day window of usefullness.

A half fare card would have cost 120CHF (about 165 Australian dollars).

For your trip using a half fare card, you would have paid about 1250 AUD +165AUD for the pass, or about 1415 AUD. So you saved 165 AUD, approximately . A notable savings, but not enough to break the bank. To do that, you need to have a fine meal with wine at a good Swiss restaurant. ;-(

If you went up to Jungfraujoch, the extra discount with the half fare card would have saved you some of the difference..about 1/4 of the price of that trip…. but you still came out ahead. However, the half-fare card is good for 30 days, so the difference could narrow further if you were traveling for 30 days.

If your travel is not intensive, the half-fare card can be cheaper, although you do have to buy tickets for each journey. The Swiss Travel Pass is usually the best bet for trips with a lot of train/bus/boat travel. And, as you note, there is some value gained from not having to take the time to buy tickets for each trip. How much value that is depends a lot on your perspective.

I travel with a half fare card and generally don’t find getting tickets to be a problem. But, if you are rushing to catch a train at the last minute, it can be worth a lot to be able to skip the ticket purchase.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2017 at 6:38:38 #863951

We did intensive travel. Trains,buses and trams all over as well as doing museums, and all the other tourist attractions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 May 2017 at 9:16:47 #863952

Hi Conniecat

<<“We did intensive travel. Trains,buses and trams all over as well as doing museums, and all the other tourist attractions.”>>

Good information for others considering the options.

I wasn’t suggesting that you made the wrong choice. Rather, just to be clear, I was providing comparison data for others who use the Forum, and who may be trying to decide which option to choose.

And, I was definitely agreeing with you about the value of the Swiss Travel pass.

Thanks for your details.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass worth every penny’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.