Swiss Pass_Reservation necessary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2011 at 4:14:16 #804625

Hi.
    I along with my family (total 6) travelling to Swiss and have bought swiss pass. We have plan to go from Zurich to Venice. Just wanted to know, is it absolutely necessary to get the reservation done. We would like to catch early morning train on Thursday from Zurich to Venice.

Also, If we board the train without reservation, what would happen
    A) Seat will not be together?
    B) We will not be allowed to board as no seat available (How much is the probability?)
    C) We will be asked to pay for reservation as it is a mandatory fee?

Also we are 4 days in Zurich, any suggestions as to which places to go and whether reservation is required for it.

Your help will help me plan my trip well.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    Rahul

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 August 2011 at 13:18:12 #833944

Hi rahul, and welcome! Whether seat reservations are required, depends on your exact connection and the types of train you’ll use. But in most cases, seat reservation for the international train crossing the Swiss-Italian border is obligatory. You can check the timetable to find out which trains require seat reservation and which don’t. Seats can be booked through the seat reservation page, and an additional reservation fee applies.

Tips for your stay in Zurich can be found in this forum topic. The Swiss national museum is interesting too. And consider a day trip to lake Lucerne. For urban trips and other train trips within Switzerland you won’t need any reservations (unless you’re traveling in a special panoramic train, but that’s not the case in or near Zurich).

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass_Reservation necessary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.