Swiss Rail Card v/s Transfer Ticket Combi

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2016 at 13:15:47 #808836

Dear All,

I am planning to travel switzerland during May 2016. My journey is for 5 days 4 nights I m aplnning to visit following places. Please suggest me most economic option for my iternanry

Zurich ->Interlaken -> Jungfrau-> Lucerne ->Mt Pilatus – > Zurich

I am confused between 4 days Swiss Rail Pass v/s Transfer ticket Combi(Which includes half fare discount).

If there is any other itinerary which is more cost effective then I am open to replace Jungfrau with some other option as well. Please please suggest. My Budget for 2 people is around 1000 GBP.

Thanks,

Vilas

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 April 2016 at 13:28:56 #850420

Thanks for joining us Vilas!

The Swiss Transfer Ticket only saves money in case of long trips on the first and last day of your stay. With Interlaken and Lucerne on your list, this doesn’t seem to apply to you.

I assume you mean the Swiss Travel Pass where you wrote Swiss Rail Card and Swiss Rail Pass. You can best compare that option to the Swiss Half Fare Card:

Jungfraujoch is the most expensive mountain excursion in Switzerland, so if your budget is limited you’d better replace that by Mount Rigi or Schynige Platte. They’re very different but beautiful as well. Both of these are free with the Swiss Travel Pass. The Schynige Platte railway operates from May 28.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2016 at 13:35:40 #850421

Thank you for a quick reply.

Yes I mean ” Swiss Travel Pass” for 4 days. My apology for confusion.

So If I go for 4 days pass , I will have to purchase tickets on 5th day. Also for Alpashtad to Pilatus I have to pay 50% and during Jungfrau I have to pay 75% of cost. It would good if you can help me understand how this 4 days pass will have more benefit.

I can certailing try and check Mount Rigi but my husband is keen about Jungfrau. Also our travel is on 2nd May. Is Riigi accessible during that time ?

Thanks

Vilas

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 April 2016 at 13:50:43 #850422

Hi Vilas,

Yes, Mount Rigi will be accessible. You can save by picking the free excursions as suggested in my other post. There is no way to get a larger discount than what the various passes offer. Please click to “Where it’s valid” on the pages I gave you, so you can see what’s included. Be sure to download the map.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2016 at 12:25:45 #850423

Thank you for your response. Can you please suggest if “Tell -Pass” is better and cost effective option for following places for 5 days

Zurich – > Lucerne -> Rigi – > Pilatus-> Interlaken -> Zurich

Thanks,

Vilas Patel

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 April 2016 at 13:06:57 #850424

Hi Vilas,

The Tell-Pass includes most of your plans (if you travel back to Zurich via Lucerne, not Bern), and is available for exactly 5 days. So that seems like a good match. The Swiss Travel Pass also includes most of your plans but is only available for 4 or 8 days. You’ll need to do the math to be 100% sure. Please see:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2016 at 13:17:15 #850425

Yes you are right. Only question I am left with is , whether my travel from Zurich to Lucerne and interlaken to Zurich is included in the pass Or do I need to buy seperate tickets for this ? if it is not included till Zurich , should I buy from Zurich to Lucern and consider that rest everything is free ? Your kind guidance will help me plan better. If there is any helpdesk number where I can reach out then please share it.

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 April 2016 at 13:29:40 #850426

Hi Vilas,

The Tell-Pass includes Baar to Lucerne, so you need a ticket from Zurich to Baar. If you check the above pages and click “Where it’s valid” you can study a detailed map of what’s included in each pass. The pages also explain how the passes work, where to buy them, etc.

We don’t have a phone number. Our website is our help desk 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2016 at 11:34:17 #850427

Thank you for your response. Few more queries.

1. What is the itinerary that I have to follow ? on website it shows 2 – 3 changes , such as Lucerene to Sernenen to Meiringen to Interlaken ? It also include bus journey. There is no direct train on this golden pass line ?

2. Is tell pass covers Interlaken internal trains ? For example if I want to go to Interlaken Ost to Interlaken West , is it covered in pass or do I need to buy seperate tickets ?

Thanks,

Vilas Patel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2016 at 5:45:55 #850428

>> 1. What is the itinerary that I have to follow ? on website it shows 2 – 3 changes , such as Lucerene to Sernenen to Meiringen to Interlaken ? It also include bus journey. There is no direct train on this golden pass line ?

Hi Vilas,

As I understand it, you are referring to the train trip between Luzern and Interlaken. Normally you can do the whole trip by train.

According to the timetable, there is construction work on the line between 11 April and 30 April. Therefore, no trains are running between Sarnen and Meiringen for that period, but replacement buses are being provided.

What date will you be doing this trip?

>> 2. Is tell pass covers Interlaken internal trains ? For example if I want to go to Interlaken Ost to Interlaken West , is it covered in pass or do I need to buy seperate tickets ?

My guess would be that Interlaken West is not covered by the Tell-Pass, as the Tell-Pass map shows Interlaken Ost as the last station in the area of validity: Interlaken West is one stop further after Interlaken Ost when coming from the direction of Brienz. Perhaps Arno or Annika could confirm this.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 April 2016 at 12:47:16 #850429

The Tell-Pass indeed covers traveling until Interlaken Ost. You need a ticket to take a bus or train to West, but it’s a small town and you can easily walk. Just follow the main street (Höheweg) and you’ll reach the West station in 20 – 30 minutes. By that time you’ve seen most of the town (mainly shops, hotels and a park with a good view of the Jungfrau).

• The thread ‘Swiss Rail Card v/s Transfer Ticket Combi’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.