Swiss rail pass or Eurail 2 country pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2016 at 23:17:37 #809737

Hello,

Most of my train travel will be with Switzerland (Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt, plus day trips out of Lucerne and Interlaken) in a 7 day period. Although I will be traveling from Zermatt to Munich as well.

I’m wondering if a Swiss Pass than purchasing the international trip separately is the way to go. Or the Eurail Select Pass for 2 countries is better.

Regards,

Jim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    22 July 2016 at 11:26:28 #854459

Hi Jim,

You’ll need to work out roughly which trips you are likely to do in your time there and then tot up the prices for Eurrail versus Swiss Travel Pass. Just be mindful though that if you plan a lot of trips on the mountain railways/cogwheels/cablecars then a lot of these aren’t covered by the Eurrail pass although you can can a small discount on some. We had Interrail passes last year as we covered a lot of countries, but once in Switzerland I found it was more economical to have a Swiss half fare pass.

Joey.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 July 2016 at 12:42:10 #854460

Welcome to MySwissAlps Jim!

This page might be helpful to compare the passes like Joey explained: myswissalps.com/ train/ticketspasses/ practical/chooserailpa ss.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2016 at 20:44:55 #854461

Thanks for the replies. I’ll check the information you’ve provided.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2016 at 18:22:12 #854462

A related question: I think I’m getting The Swiss Pass with 4 Travel Days. I’m going to do a boat trip on Lake Lucerne. My understanding is that is free with the Pass. Does that exhaust “a travel day”? I won’t do it on a day that I’m on a train. I likely have 4 other days of traveling by train.

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 July 2016 at 8:25:55 #854463

Hi Jim,

It does not work quite like that. Here are some definitions to make sure we’re talking about the same pass:

• Swiss Pass: you do not need this. It’s a product for Swiss residents;
    • Swiss Travel Pass: you buy it for a number of consecutive days. Whether you travel a lot, a little or not at all during these days is up to you;
    • Swiss Travel Pass Flex: the same thing, but you can use the days non-consecutive. This pass is more expensive, so make sure to do the math.

The links provide further details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2016 at 15:26:31 #854464

We’re talking about the same thing: the Swiss Travel Pass. I thought you could get it for consecutive days of travel or a number of days within a month. My question is whether a boat ride on Lake Lucerne would count for a day of travel. I’ve read that it’s free, so my presumption is no. But I want to be sure.

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 July 2016 at 17:23:16 #854465

Hi Jim,

The usage of any mode of transport does not define a travel day. You choose travel days yourself. You can’t have a free boat ride if you don’t have a valid pass (i.e. a travel day).

Your understanding of the passes is correct: you can get a pass for consecutive days (link 2 in my previous post) or a number of days in a month (link 3). Please review those links, and specifically the “How to use” tab. You’ll find a lot of details there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2016 at 20:55:11 #854466

Thank you, the latest response answered my question. I was going to do the boat ride on a day that I wasn’t traveling by train. I already have 4 travel days in mind. I will now do the boat on the same day I travel for 1 of those days.

Thanks for your help!

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass or Eurail 2 country pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.