Swiss Rail pass selection for Journey

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2014 at 19:17:27 #806441

Good day,

My name is Mr. Atul,(Age 40) I am travelling first time to Switzerland with my wife (Age 36) and my son of 7 year old.

I have my plan ready but not sure about which Swiss Rail Pass to choose. Can anyone suggest better option for below journey please..

Day 1: Travel from Paris to Geneva via Railway.

Day 2: City tour of Geneva includes Reformation Monument, UN building, view of the Mont Blank, Jet d’ Eau and floral clock. In the evening Geneva lake boat ride. Arrive in Lucerne in the evening

Day 3: Lucerne – Mt. Titlis – Lucerne : Visit Engelberg – Mt. Titlis. Experience Rotair Titlis to Mt. Titlis and visit Ice Grotto, thrilling ice flyer ride and snow sliding. In the evening Lucerne city tour includes Lion Monument and Kappelbrucke Wooden Bridge. Lake Lucerne dinner cruise with Swiss Folklore Music.

Day 4: Lucerne – Jungfraujoch – Lucerne: Visit Jungfraujoch Top of Europe, En route visit Trummelbach Glacial Waterfalls. Take Cogwheel train from Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch. Enjoy magnificent alpine scenery via Kleine Scheidegg station. Visit Ice palace with ICE sculptures and Sphinx Terrace. At last Orientation tour of Interlaken city.

Day 5: Lucerne – Zurich: Visit Rhine Falls at Schaffhausen (Nauhausen), enjoy boat ride to the falls, En-route via Zurich lake. Orientation tour of Zurich city.

Thanks in advance for your kind suggestions.

Atul

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 June 2014 at 8:15:30 #840220

Hello Mr. Atul, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Your itinerary is perfect for a 4-day Swiss Saver Pass. You can use it from day 2 to day 5. It includes almost all the traveling for free, including the boat trips on Lake Geneva and Lake Zurich. You will get a 50% discount on the Titlis cable car and 25% discount on the Jungfraujoch train.

Swiss Pass details can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2014 at 17:57:58 #840221

Thans Arno & Anika for your prompt response.

I heard Swiss half fare card is getting better discont then swiss pass at Jungfrau and at Mt. Titlis? Kindly confirm if true and is it useful for my travel plan? Once again really appreciate your kind help.

Thanks

Atul

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 June 2014 at 18:47:10 #840222

Hello Atul,

You’re welcome! The main difference between the passes is this:

• Titlis: no difference, both offer 50% off;
    • Jungfraujoch section 1 (to Wengen or Grindelwald): free with the Swiss Pass, 50% off with the Swiss Half Fare Card;
    • Jungfraujoch section 2 (from Wengen or Grindelwald to the top): 25% off with the Swiss Pass, 50% off with the Swiss Half Fare Card;
    • Your other trips: free with the Swiss Pass (no tickets required), 50% off with the Swiss Half Fare Card.

For details, you can download the maps from the Swiss Pass page and Swiss Half fare Card page. To compare passes cost wise, you should look at all your travels (not just the two mountain trips) and calculate the difference as explained in this guide. I think the 4-day Swiss Saver Pass fits your plans best.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2014 at 4:51:59 #840223

Noted ver well. Thanks a lot Arno for your quick response and guidence.

Atul

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2014 at 17:24:05 #840224

Dear Arno & Anika,

Pls. confirm if we purchase swiss rail pass for 4 days, do
    we need to purchase any separate rail ticket for Zurich to Lucerne? Is any additional

cost involved in this journey? Or it is completely free of cost.

I am asking this because I have got good deal near Zurich
    airport hotel that allows me to stay at reasonable rate per night, hence I am
    thinking if its just matter of one hour journey from Zurich to Lucerne / Zurich
    to Interlakan better I will stay in Zurich and save cost if daily up-down is
    free because of Swiss rail pass.

Kindly confirm how useful is this?

Atul

Annika
    7103 posts
    22 June 2014 at 17:53:22 #840225

Hi Atul,

If you have a Swiss Pass, you can board any train on the solid red lines (including Zurich to Lucerne) you can find on the downloadable map Arno talked about. You don’t need a ticket.

According to the timetable, Zurich airport to Lucerne is about an hour one way. Zurich to Interlaken is 2h15 one way.

Staying near Zurich airport is not nearly as pretty as Lucerne, but it’s an option if it saves you a lot and you don’t mind the extra traveling time. The traveling won’t cost you money indeed. Good hotels near the airport, with free shuttle services and at walking distance from the rail stations can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2014 at 18:54:27 #840226

Thanks Anika message well noted.

Atul

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2014 at 17:13:17 #840227

Dear Arno & Anika,

I have swiss rail pass and would like you to suggest 1 complete day trip from interlaken other then jungfraugh. I would like to see best scenery and breathtaking views of switzerland.

Also confirm can I finish titlis and pilatus in one day? If yes pls also suggest 1 day best trip spot from Luzern.

I am flying on 16th July to Switzerland.

Regards/Atul

swisscat
    Participant
    18 posts
    12 July 2014 at 21:45:14 #840228

Day 4 is a very long day! A minimum of 8h 34 travelling (according to SBB) without any sightseeing.

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 July 2014 at 9:29:38 #840229

Hi Atul,

Our suggestions for attractions and hiking trails around Interlaken can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/interlaken/activities. For Lucerne, they’re here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities. Each attraction page shows you what to expect, how to get there, pictures, etc., so you can see what you like and put it on your wishlist. Then decide what to do based on the weather of the day.

I’m not sure if you still plan to be based in Zurich or Lucerne. If so, be aware of the travel times to Interlaken and beyond as mentioned by swisscat. The timetable Annika linked to will help you see what’s possible within one day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2014 at 2:49:57 #840230

Thanks Arno and Annika for your timely guidence.

Regards

Atul

• The thread ‘Swiss Rail pass selection for Journey’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.