Swiss Rail Passes when renting a car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2015 at 0:03:43 #807290

We will be in Switzerland for 11 days. We do plan to rent a car and so will not be traveling from city to city by train. However, we would like to go up to Mt Pilatus; we will be in Zermatt for 2 days and hiking; and will be in the Lauterbrunnen area for 6 days and hiking on a daily basis. We also plan to go to the Jungfrau and the Schilthorn, weather permitting. We are a family of 5 adults and one child, age 8. Can you advise on the best rail pass? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 May 2015 at 5:46:05 #843406

Thanks for joining us Swtraveler! The pass you need is a Swiss Half Fare Card: myswissalps.com/swisshalfarecard.

Are you aware that you will be visiting areas where you can’t use a car? Zermatt is car free, so you will have to park the car in Täsch for the 2 days. Lauterbrunnen can be reached by car, but most of the area is car free as well, so again the car would be in the car park for most of the time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2015 at 23:25:22 #843407

Yes. I am aware that Zermatt is a carfree zone and that most of the places that we visit from Lauterbrunnen are carfree. I know that we will be riding cablecars/trains/cogwheels, etc very often and so wanted to know which pass would be the best. I will do some research on your suggestion as to the Swiss Half Fare Card and ask further questions. Thank you for your suggestion so far.

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 May 2015 at 7:08:46 #843408

Great, you’re welcome! For very frequent cable car rides you may want to look into the Jungfrau Railways Pass and the Zermatt Panoramic Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2015 at 19:32:49 #843409

If I buy a Swiss Half Fare Ticket, where can I find a listing of exactly what it covers? On what exactly do I get 50% off? Is it better to buy this ticket in the US or in Switzerland? We do have an 8 year old traveling with us and, as I understand, he can travel for free on a family card. Is he still free if we buy our tickets in Switzerland or is there a 20 Euro fee to add him?

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 May 2015 at 4:53:21 #843410

Hi Swtraveler,

You’d best go to the first link I provided, click ‘Where it’s valid’, and download the map. Likewise, you can click ‘Price’ to see the purchase options.

There is no fee for the 8 year old. He’s travels along for free everywhere, if you order along the free Swiss Family Card.

• The thread ‘Swiss Rail Passes when renting a car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.