Start using Swiss Travel Pass in the afternoon

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 22:34:18 #811969

We have purchased a three day Swiss Rail Pass each. We plan to begin using them on the afternoon of June 14 th. Will they still still be valid to use on Satuday 17th June until the afternoon? We also need to return to the airport from Zurich on Sunday 18th June, what would be the best cost effective way to do this as our three day passes would have expired. Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 May 2017 at 8:23:27 #863866

Hi leannep,

For validity timeframes, please see myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/howtouse. To reach the airport you can buy a regular single ticket for CHF 6.80. Unless you stay in an airport hotel with a free shuttle bus.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 9:23:27 #863867

Thanks Arno, I was led to believe when I purchased it that it would go from Wednesday PM when we boarded to Thursday. PM one day, Friday PM day 2 Saturday PM Day 3. It now seems we will need to pay a fare to get back to Zurich on the Saturday from Grindelwald! What is the best way the.to go about this. Thanks for your help

leanne

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 May 2017 at 12:31:46 #863868

Hi Leanne,

I hope it was not on our website where you read that? It does not work like that and I wouldn’t want our readers to be confused about it. Your Swiss Travel Pass will expire on Saturday 5:00 AM. A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass would have been the cheapest option (just CHF 43 more). But you normally can’t cancel and exchange the pass without paying a fee (usually 15%). A ticket from Grindelwald to Zurich costs CHF 81.40. If you don’t mind a fixed departure time perhaps a Supersaver ticket is available, which will save some money.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 22:22:14 #863869

No Arno,I purchased them when a discounted special for a three day ticket was advertised on Rail Europe. I emailed them first to make sure they would be valid and my reply was as my last comment. I’m disappointed and while I did get a discount it wasn’t all that much considering now I have to pay for more tickets.. thankyou for your replies

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 22:44:18 #863870

Sorry Arno, but I appreciate your help as we are complete novices travelling for the first time in Europe. I’ve looked up the Rail website for a super saver ticket and the different railway stations are on offer for return to Zurich are confusing. It has suggested two options

Grindelwald to Zurich HB

via Interlaken OST-Bern-Olten

or via Interlaken OST-Brunig – Luzern

is the Zurich HB station in Zurich central where we have accomodation and is it the correct station at Interlaken

I’m so reluctant to buy ahead now in case I make another error

thanks Leanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 8:48:34 #863871

Hi Leanna,

Either route will work; the train is just traveling between different cities on the way to Zurich HB (which is the main train station in Zurich right downtown).

You don’t have to buy the tickets now you can buy the tickets at any time including your day of departure (reservations are not made on Swiss trains 90% of the time).

The easiest way to get train schedules is to use the Swiss railways timetable here.
    When you check the Swiss timetable most trains, if not all, will travel via Interlaken Ost and Bern (with changes for you at both cities) This is the quickest and most direct route (the schedule always displays the most direct/fastest routes first).

I hope that makes sense to you, let us know if you have more questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 9:22:25 #863872

>> Grindelwald to Zurich HB

HB stands for “Hauptbahnhof”. “Haupt” means “main”, and “Bahnhof” means station. So, as Lucas mentioned, HB means “main station”.

>> via Interlaken OST-Bern-Olten

As Lucas mentioned, this is the fastest route.

>> or via Interlaken OST-Brunig – Luzern

This is the scenic route, which I would highly recommend you take. You will travel along Lake Brienz, over the Brünig Pass, then past the Lungernersee and the Sarnersee, which are beautiful lakes with mountain and meadow backdrops, and pretty lakeside villages. Sit on the right. At Meiringen, the train changes direction, and you will be sitting on the left, which is the best side to see the views from the Brünig Pass, and of the lakes and lakeside villages. I have attached some photos I took during this trip in September last year.

At Luzern, you will change for a train to Zürich.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 11:22:59 #863873

Thanks Lucas for your interest and help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 11:24:34 #863874

Thanks Alpenrose, your information is great and appreciated, will definitely follow your recommendation. The photos are lovely, so green to us Aussies!

• The thread ‘Start using Swiss Travel Pass in the afternoon’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.