Swiss rail passes – which is the best solution

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2012 at 9:29:31 #805177

My husband and I are travelling to Switzerland for two weeks the end of August plus a couple of days in Sept. We are spending one week in Zermatt and one week in Grindelwald. We plan to do extensive hikes in both areas, and to use the lifts, gondolas on a daily basis. We plan on taking the train from Zurich to Zermatt, Zermatt to Grindelwald, and the back to Zurich (really only three days of using the train system). What is the best package for us to get, I am thinking that the Flexi pass is best, getting 4 days to get around, and then buying the passes for the lifts and gondolas at Zermatt to Grindelwald. I know that there is a six day pass in Grindelwald that is all inclusive for the area. My husband on the other hand thinks that the 15 day rail pass is best, and will give us between 25% and 50% off of all lifts etc. Which is the most economical, does any one know.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 April 2012 at 13:55:55 #835825

Hi atlanta, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

I would pick the 3-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass for the plans you explained about. It covers the 3 transfers for free, and you’ll get 50% off most of the lifts. For the pass details, and to find resellers, please visit this page.

A 15-day Swiss Saver Pass is more expensive. It would make sense if you want the freedom of doing longer day trips if the weather (or anything else) prevents you from hiking, or if you just want to be able to go to the region with the best weather for that day. You spend more but won’t be limited in any way to do more or longer trips. Please be sure to check this promotion if you consider the 15-day pass and prefer 1st class traveling.

• The thread ‘Swiss rail passes – which is the best solution’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.