Swiss Rail Question

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2011 at 20:06:39 #804654

I’ve researched the Swiss rail system extensively, and still find myself confused. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out!!

Here is my itinerary for 2 adults:

1. Geneva — > Interlaken (CAR) then take train from Interlaken –> Lauterbrunnen
    2. Lauterbrunnen –> Jungfrau (taking Wengernalp railway to Kleine Scheidegg, then Jungfraubahn, back down hiking the Panoramaweg Trail and taking cable car from Mannlichen to Wengen, train to Lauterbrunnen)
    3. Lauterbrunnen –> Zermatt
    4. Zermatt –> Luzern (would like to do Glacier Express to Chur, then take another train from Luzern to Chur)
    5. Luzern –> Zurich

My questions are:
    1. What is the best rail pass for us??
    2. Is there a document that clearly explains the discounts for the different passes/cards specifically for the Jungfrau Region?
    3. Is the Glacier Express included in the pass/card you are suggesting?
    4. Is it possible to get off the Glacier Express at Chur and get a train to Luzern?

I would greatly appreciate any help!!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 August 2011 at 5:59:29 #834063

Hello coley1916. In all, I think a Swiss Saver Pass would be the most comfortable solution. Its validity should start once you reach Interlaken, since your first trip is made by car. The trips you mention are all covered, and the major transfers Lauterbrunnen-Zermatt, Zermatt-Lucerne and Lucerne-Zurich are for free, including the Glacier Express. You’ll only have to pay an extra fee for Glacier Express seat reservations. Further details (including the map I mentioned in my answer to your other question) can be found at the Swiss Pass page. By the way, you could also choose to travel from Geneva to Interlaken by train, using the beautiful Golden Pass route. In that case your Swiss Saver Pass should already be valid for this first trip.

There are other passes for the Jungfrau region (such as the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland), but they’re not suitable for your trip, since they’re not valid for the other parts of the country you want to cover. On each detail page of the rail passes we list, specifics and maps (showing discounts in that specific region too) are included.

Yes, you can get off the Glacier Express in Chur and then travel onto Lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2011 at 16:33:26 #834064

Thank you so much, Annika! I had considered the Golden Pass route, but we wanted to stop at some of the wineries along Lake Geneva and make a short stop in Bern, so I think a car is our only option.

• The thread ‘Swiss Rail Question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.