Swiss saver pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2010 at 6:47:12 #803995

Hi,
    we would be coming to switzerland on 9th sept landing at geneva airport. then we are going straight to lucern staying there the next day, then 2 days in interlaken, one day in zurich and back to geneva the next.
    so if i want to buy the swiss saver pass which would be cheaper? to buy it at the airport of geneva or online? my husband’s credit card is in usd and is of bank of abu dhabi.
    also can we just pay in cash when we purchase it at the airport or do we have to use a credit card?
    i also want to take a segway tour. but we are going to be in zurich on monday and they arent offering it on monday. do u know where else i could take it? and can u tell me the their timings. also if we’re just passing through zurich and i want to take a tour then to rhine falls then to geneva. do u know a safe place where we can put our stuff for the day so we dont have to carry it around the whole day.
    thanksss.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 August 2010 at 12:32:34 #831797

Hello dipscorti! Whether it’s cheaper to purchase your pass online or in Switzerland, depends on current exchange rates. The current prices for an online purchase can be reviewed at the Swiss Pass page, by clicking your country under the header ‘Order your Swiss Pass here’ (please be sure to click ‘Show more countries’ below). As for a local purchase: this is possible at larger railway stations during opening hours. You can pay in cash (you’ll have to use Swiss Francs); credit card payment is most probably possible at Geneva Airport. For detailed information on this, you can best contact the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB).

As for segway tours: this Swiss site on segway city tours may help you out. Several of them are listed, including tours in Lucerne and Interlaken, where you’ll be staying as well.

This topic on travelling to the Rhine falls will help you plan your trip there. Other train and bus trips can be planned through the Swiss timetable.

You’ll be able to store your luggage in hotels and at larger railway stations, such as Zurich, Lucerne and Geneva.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2010 at 13:56:57 #831798

Hey
    Thank you so much.. Can u also tell me are all boat trips included in the swiss pass? what about if we want to take a dinner cruise in interlaken or geneva.. can we get one in that pass or do we just get a discount on it? can u tell me which cruises give discount if they do.
    Also can u give me a list of good places to play mini golf in Interlaken. i searched online but the sites of all of them arent in english so i couldnt understand them.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 August 2010 at 4:12:01 #831799

Hello dipscorti. Most boat trips on the lakes around Interlaken, Lucerne, Geneva, are included in the Swiss Pass. This can be reviewed by clicking the link ‘Overview of the network on which the Swiss Pass is valid’ at the Swiss Pass page. On the synoptic map, all white lines on lakes indicate boat routes that are for free with your Swiss Pass. This applies to regular boat trips. Special (dinner) cruises may be discounted, but this will differ per boat company and per cruise, so it’s best to carefully read the description and price lists for such cruises. You’ll find more information on the websites of Lake Lucerne, BLS and CGN .

For English information on mini golf, you can best turn to the Interlaken Tourist Office. They’ll be able to provide you the right information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2010 at 7:18:20 #831800

Hi,
    i want to go to rosenlaui gorge. so can i go there while coming from luzern to interlaken? we’re going to leave luzern right after lunch. but the problem is we will have our luggage with us. so do u know of a place we can store it? in meiringen maybe? or somewhere else? so we can finish it and return to interlaken? and can u tell me how much time does it take in rosenlaui gorge? and how much time from Rosenlaui, Gletscherschlucht station to the falls?
    And how about we stop at rosenlaui on our way to jungfrau? can that be done? we can just come back on the last 17:45 train from there. if u know how much time it will take us there, u could tell me if i can easily do that or not. i as such dont know how much time we will be there so i’m confused a bit.
    Also as you know we’re going from the 9th to the 15th. so could u advice what clothing to bring please? we need thick jackets for the hill tops right? and what about the cities are they cold too? is it ok to bring cotton slacks? or just jeans.
    its so nice . whatever doubts i have i can ask you. its not rude that i keep asking questions right? thank you so much for answering Annika.
    thanksss

Annika
    7116 posts
    31 August 2010 at 14:22:51 #831801

Hi dipscorti. No, don’t mind asking your questions. As for your visit to the Rosenlaui gorge: you can get from Lucerne to Meiringen via the beautiful Brünig Pass route. A bus will take you from Meiringen up to Rosenlaui. You can plan this trip (and other trips) by filling out your departure and arrival station in the Swiss timetable. You’ll be able to reach the Rosenlaui gorge in about 2 hours from Lucerne, so you’d be able to arrive there in the afternoon. The gorge will be opened up to 18.00h, so you’ll have some hours to spend there. Meiringen indeed offers several options for storing your luggage. I’m pretty sure there are lockers, and there’s a baggage department as well where you can leave your suitcases. For specific information, you could best contact the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB).

Getting from Lucerne to the Jungfraujoch via the Rosenlaui gorge won’t work, especially if you leave Lucerne after lunch. The trip to Jungfraujoch, which can be planned with the timetable as well, requires a couple of hours from Lucerne and even from Rosenlaui. Moreover, a visit early in the morning can often be preferred, especially on rather warm days. Of course this depends on the exact weather forecasts, which can be checked online shortly in advance.

Weather in september can vary from warm and sunny to cold and rainy. So the best advice is to be prepared for all weather types. Take along warm, wind and rain proof clothes and extra (fleece) sweaters. If you don’t plan on extensive hiking, jeans should be enough, but please do note that high up in the mountains – for example at the Jungfraujoch – the temperature may drop well below zero. So if you think this is too cold for you, isolating underwear may come in handy.

Have a wonderful trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2010 at 4:39:07 #831802

Hi Annika,
    Can we just walk from Schwarzwaldalp to rosanlaui falls? or do we have to take the bus? how long would it take if we just walk?
    Is rosenlaui really worth seing? i mean between trummelbach falls and rosenlaui, which one is better?
    what else would u suggest to go see except jungfraujoch, schilthorn, rosenlaui gorge and trummelbach falls near interlaken? its ok if it doesnt but it would be best if it can be covered by the swiss pass.
    And what boat trips on lake brienz can be covered in it. i dont know how to search for it on the sbb website. can we reach somewhere through the cruises? like i read u can reach the gorges through them.
    are all the sbb timings reliable? i mean if there are just 4 to 5 mins between one train and next one, we can easily catch it right? or do the buses and trains get cancelled or something. so if we miss one, our whole schedule goes awry?
    Can you give me some more options of what i can do on the swiss pass in Interlaken please?

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 September 2010 at 13:43:09 #831803

Hi dipscorti. Yes, you can walk from Schwarzwaldalp to the Rosenlaui gorge. I’m not sure how long exactly it will take; it’s a little less than 2 kilometres and may take half an hour or 45 minutes. It’s part of the route from Grosse Scheidegg to Meiringen. But it’s a long travel day already, and walking instead of taking the bus will deprive you of your time in the Rosenlaui gorge. The gorge can’t really be compared with the Trümmelbach falls. These aren’t a gorge, but spectacular waterfalls within the rock walls of the Lauterbrunnen valley.

An overview of day trips in the Bernese Oberland may help you decide what you want to do when staying in Interlaken. Most regular train, bus and boat trips are for free with the Swiss Pass; mountain transportation is reduced by 50% in most cases. Please take a look at the synoptic map which shows the validity of the Swiss Pass, by clicking the link ‘Overview of the network on which the Swiss Pass is valid’ at the Swiss Pass page. Boat trips on lake Brienz are for free. The white lines on the map I referred to indicate free boat rides.

The SBB timetable is very reliable. In general, 4 or 5 minutes are enough to change trains, especially if you know in advance at what platform you have to be. Announcements in English will also guide you to the correct platform. The travel system itself is realiable as well. Occasionally, a bus or train may get cancelled, but that will be announced as well and alternatives will be available as quickly as possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2010 at 17:01:15 #831804

Hey thanks,
    Can we take a bike down from kleine scheidegg to grindelwald?
    What does it cost if we just go from kleine scheidegg to jungfraujoch?
    i was thinking we can take a cabliway from wengen to mannlichen which is 12 with a swiss pass then hike to kleine scheidegg then take the train up. then from kleine again take a bike down to grindelwald and take the train back to interlaken. how does that sound? so that leaves just price for kleine – jungfraujoch right?
    if we take a bike to kleine, we cant take it on the train to jungfrau right? so if we want to take the bike back to grindelwald can we keep it at kleine? and take it when we come back from jungfraujoch?

Annika
    7116 posts
    2 September 2010 at 14:06:52 #831805

Hi dipscorti. I think it’s possible to bike down from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald, provided that you have a good mountain bike and that you are experienced in mountain biking at this kind of terrain. You could take a look at the Swiss Rentabike website to find out what your options are. I would advice against taking along a bike on the train to the Jungfraujoch. It’s very inconvenient and I’m not sure if it’s allowed. To find out if bikes are allowed in the Jungfrau railways trains (which include the train running from Lauterbrunnen/Wengen and Grindelwald up to Kleine Scheidegg), please contact the Jungfrau railways. You’ll find a price overview on their website too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2010 at 4:12:46 #831806

Hey Annika, how does a swiss flexi pass work exactly? i mean on the days it is not valid we get half fare right? so do we have to specify on the pass which days we want valid? or while buying tickets do we have to specify that its not valid today? if we dont specify the dates on the pass or while making the pass then what if accidently we use it on non valid day? then we’ll have one day less. please explain how it works.
    And i was just doing a budge as to which pass to get. can u give me an estimate of the boat cruises on lake lucern and lake brienz or a link where i can find the actual prices which we can avail for free with the pass.
    thanksss.

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 September 2010 at 4:15:55 #831807

Hi dipscorti. The Swiss Flexi Pass is explained at the Swiss Flexi Pass page. At non-free travel days, you have to purchase discounted tickets. On the pass you’ll be able to specify the dates that you want to use for free travel. The remaining days (that is, all days between the first and last day of free travel) automatically grant a 50% discount. Just show your pass when purchasing tickets on non-free travel days and you’ll receive the this discount. On free travel days you can simply write down the date, or have it stamped at a railway station. By then, the free travel day is valid and you can board most boats, buses and trains for free.

Please refer to the Lake Lucerne and BLS websites for price information on boat trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2010 at 4:46:09 #831808

Stamped? Do we have to validate the pass or something before using it? or just buy it at the counter and start using?

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 September 2010 at 13:13:14 #831809

Hi dipscorti. Information on valdidating your rail pass can be found in our rail FAQ. Once you start using your pass, you’ll have to fill out the dates of free travel days yourself. In some cases, you can stamp them at a machine at the railway stations as well. You’ll receive instructions on this along with your pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2010 at 7:03:02 #831810

Hey whats the best quick way to get to jet d’eau from the station in geneva?

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 September 2010 at 15:39:11 #831811

Hi dipscorti. I suggest that you take a look at the detailed map here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2010 at 19:09:42 #831812

Hi, thanksss
    last question
    site i can find cruise timetable and details from lausaunne to geneva with the pass of course.

thankssssss

Annika
    7116 posts
    8 September 2010 at 14:02:19 #831813

Hi dipscorti. Information about boat trips on Lake Geneva can be found on this page.

• The thread ‘Swiss saver pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.