Swiss Saver pass or Swiss half Fare Card Dilemma

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2011 at 13:01:29 #804213

We are visting Switzerland. Family of 2 Kids (5 and below) and 2 Adults.

we are going to be in Swtizerland for 8 days and our itenary is as below.
    Day1 Arrive at Zurich – Take train to Lucerne
    Day2 Lucerne (Mt Pilatus)
    DAy3 Lucerne (Mt Titlis)
    Day4 Train from Lucerne -> Interlaken (stay at Lauterbrunnen)

DAy5 Lauterbrunnen (Jungfraujoch, go via Grindelwald, First and come back via
    Kliene Scheidegg)
    Day6 Lauterbrunnen (Schilthorn, Wengen/Murren)
    Day7 Train from Lauterbrunnen -> Zurich
    Day8 Leave from Zurich

we are originially planning to get swisssaver pass First class for 8 days. (unlimited train travel) -> 1064$ for 2.

Now Iam thinking if i can manage with Swiss Half fare card ($300 for 2) and go get half price tickets on my individual travel dates.

Both these cards offer the same discount on Jungfraujoch trains and the rides for Mt.Pilatus and Mt.Titlis. so why should i spend more money on the Swisssaver pass

On top of that , iam only travelling on regular trains for only 3 days. (1,3 and 7). I don’t need a pass for 8 days. I can get to pick whether i want to travel First class or not on the regular trains.

I can choose first class on the Jungfraujoch train and get half off with the half fare card anyways.

Should i buy Swisssaver First Class or Buy Swiss Half Fare card ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    13 April 2011 at 16:08:43 #832563

Hi anmavipr,

The Swiss Half Fare Card indeed looks like a good choice for your itinerary. It gets you a 50% discount on the Jungfrau. A Swiss Saver Pass would provide a 25% discount there.

Where are you from and what currency are you referring to? US dollars? I’m asking because I did not find the prices you mentioned.

The Jungfrau train only has 2nd class coaches by the way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2011 at 16:10:50 #832564

iam from USA and Currency is US$.

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 April 2011 at 2:40:45 #832565

Hi anmavipr,

Did you check the Swiss Pass page and Swiss Half Fare Card page for the prices? The current prices for an online purchase listed there are US$ 1038 for an 8-day 1st class Swiss Saver Pass for 2 people, and US$ 271.03 for 2 Swiss Half Fare Cards.

Perhaps it’s good to know that a 2nd class Swiss Saver Pass also allows you to travel 1st class for specific trips, as you can purchase upgrade tickets for the price difference between 1st and 2nd class.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2011 at 16:02:34 #832566

Thanks Arno, for giving us the exact Cost on the Card.

This site says the following .
    “The Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for nearly all trains, including special trains such as the Glacier Express, Bernina Express, Heidi Express and Mont Blanc Express. The same applies to bus services: the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for about all buses, but on some special routes, a surcharge (Alpine Ticket) or a seat reservation is required.

So does this includes rail Europe Trains ? For some reason the rail europe seems to only Indicate Swiss Pass.

would i get half fare in golden pass train
    from Lucerne to Interlaken?

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 April 2011 at 7:50:03 #832567

Hi anmavipr,

I’m not sure what you mean with “does this include Rail Europe trains?”. The Swiss Pass page and Swiss Half Fare Card page include links to network maps showing exactly where you can use the pass. All trains running on the sections on those maps are included, either for free or discounted. The Golden Pass route is discounted by 50% with a Swiss Half Fare Card.

Rail Europe does not sell Swiss Half Fare Cards. You would buy it through STC, as indicated on the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

• The thread ‘Swiss Saver pass or Swiss half Fare Card Dilemma’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.