Swiss Tell Pass or Swiss Travel Pass? Lucerne Only

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2015 at 10:18:35 #808092

Hi!

My name is Myles, and I’m planing to travel to Lucerne for this weekend (Saturday to Monday). I’m coming from Munich, and have already bought bus tickets to Zurich.

I would like to know if I should get Swiss Tell Pass or the Swiss Travel Pass?

The Tell Pass – Winter is 100 CHF, while the Travel Pass is 179 CHF. However, from my knowledge, Lake Lucerne, Mt Rigi and Mt. Pilatus are included in the Tell Pass 2- days making it very reasonable. As for the Travel Pass, only Mt Rigi is free. Am I correct?

Also, I’m planning to take the train from Zurich to Lucerne on Saturday and back on Monday. It’s around 20-30 CHF each way if I’m not mistaken. Is the train ride from Zurich to Lucerne included in the Tell Pass?

Best,

Myles Chua

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 November 2015 at 12:06:54 #846842

Hi Myles,

Thanks for your post! For such a short, regional trip, I would recommend the Tell-Pass. You can compare the passes here:

The Tell-Pass includes the ride from Baar to Lucerne, so you only need a ticket from Zurich to Baar.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2015 at 20:23:26 #846843

Hi Arno!

Thanks so much for your really quick reply! I appreciate your help and the links you gave me. 🙂

My friend and I are planning to go up the mountains on Sunday (very sunny weather according to online sources). We’re still debating whether to go up Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Rigi.

Based on what I read online, Mt Pilatus has a very nice and wide panoramic view, but Mt. Rigi is more beautiful since it’s a like a meadow, and you can easily walk around. Also, I heard that neither of them have snow since the temperature in Lucerne has yet to hit -1.

What do you think?

Best,

Myles Chua

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 November 2015 at 14:18:46 #846844

Hi Myles,

Your understanding about Pilatus versus Rigi is correct. Views from both are wonderful. Pilatus is easier to be reached from Lucerne; Rigi can be combined with a boat trip over Lake Lucerne and some hiking. You can best compare the pages I linked to and read the details to find out what appeals to you more. Whatever you’ll pick, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, especially if skies will be clear!

• The thread ‘Swiss Tell Pass or Swiss Travel Pass? Lucerne Only’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.