Swiss train timetable confusing me

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2016 at 4:49:25 #809941

Hi

thanks for the link of swiss time table. My plan is to start early morning from Milan and procced to Grinderwald on 2sep and spend the night there. Visit Jungfrau on 3 sep and go down to Wengan via other route and spend the night there.

Q1) When i enter the Swiss train timetable as per the link it is giving me a option of more then 5 Jungfrau with an alphabet changed here or there. THis is confusing me as to which Jungfrau to select?

Q2) The timetable is showing only 3 trains from Interlaken to Jungfrau (i plan to board it at Grinderwald). This possibly cannot be correct. Plz guide me how many average runs are there from Interlaken to Jungfrau , as on 2sep i plan to travel from Milan to Interlaken and then on to Grinderwald. I reach Interlaken by late afternoon and if there are no trains going towards Grinderwald, my plans will collapse.

Q3) I am landing at Milan ( MXP)on 1sep around 9 pm.. I don’t want to travel all the way to Milan city and next day catch a train to Interlaken.I am planning to spend the night at a hotel around airport and next morning procced to Interlaken. Are there any buses from Milan airport to Domodossola, from where i can catch a train to Interlaken? Or what is the best way to travel from Milan airport to Interlaken.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 August 2016 at 8:27:45 #855343

Hi Cupid

Indeed, the timetable can be confusing, because it contains a large amount of information in multiple layers of menus.

Here is a start on your questions.

#1- Grindelwald to Jungfrau (please note correct spellings)

When I open the timetable and list Jungfrau as a destination, I get a long list of stations to choose from.

The first one on the list, even though I entered “Jungfrau” is “Jungfraujoch.” That is the name of the station and the ridge or pass where the train line ends.

(See attached.)

From Google Translate seeking the English translation and German synonyms for “das Joch ” I get-

<<“Translations of Joch

noun

yoke – Joch, Passe, Gespann, Tragjoch, Schultertrage

ridge – Grat, Kamm, Rippe, First, Rücken, Joch”>>

So, to be precise, your destination is the saddle or pass on the Jungfrau.

Always, the first entry in the list in the timetable is the simplest and the main location or station. When in doubt, pick the first one. (By the way, I did not get a listing for the word “Jungfrau” because there is no station named Jungfrau).

Other names may be nearby bus stations or cableway stations. Especially in cities, you get a long list of bus and tram stops.

Often, the second listing is a name, followed by the word “station” in German and the equivalent la “gare” in French. That is the bus stop, which might be just around the building, across the street, or 2-3 minutes walk from where the trains stop.

Note in the attached screen grab , where I opened the details for the first train by clicking on the plus to the left of the listing, that a map is available in the footnotes. That map shows the journey in detail, and in the menu choices, lets you see an expanded map of the area near the start and finish of the journey.

<<“The timetable is showing only 3 trains from Interlaken to Jungfrau (i plan to board it at Grinderwald). This possibly cannot be correct.”>>

Indeed, it is incorrect in several ways.

First, you did not spell Grindelwald correctly. Second, a look at this map will show you that the route from Interlaken to Grindelwald can go through Lauterbrunnen or through Grindelwald.

You should not (as you have stated) got to the Jungfrau via Interlaken boarding at Grindelwald, unless you wish to take a less direct route, for example, to your favorite coffee shop in Interlaken before you go to the Jungfrau. 😉

Follow this link and zoom in.

map.search.ch/?pos=640672,165504&z=16

Once you have zoomed in far enough, you will see the train lines.

(If you enter the menus for Points of Interest/Traffic, you can turn on an overlay of stations for different types of transport).

To get more listings, you can click on the “later” and “earlier” links at the bottom of the timetable. default shows only 4 journeys.

As explained in the link you have mentioned in your post, for the timetable, to force the journey through a particular station, you should enter the name of the station in the “connections “(or, “via”) box.

You will enter Interlaken as your start, Jungfrau(joch) as your destination, and Grindelwald as your connection or via point.

That will give you what you seek.

<<“Or what is the best way to travel from Milan airport to Interlaken.”>>

this requires a long answer, and at this moment, I don’t have time to pick out the details.

In general, there is bus service to Chiasso, or, train/bus connections to the line betwen Milano Centrale and Domodossola.

The Swiss timetable will show you the way. See attached screen grab.

Let us know if you need more details.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2016 at 14:48:22 #855344

@Slowpoke

Whew! What a detailed and informative reply. Can’t thank you enough. I need a few hours to go through it and understand it.

And your link for bus connection from Milanpensa airport to Domodossola was a boon. Now after landing late evening i wont have to travel all the way to Milan central and instead will spend a night at a hotel at airport and next morning procced from airport to Domodossola straight, saving time and effort.

As for my taking a longer route to Jungfrau via Grinderlwald let me clarify my plan

1. 2Sep16.. Malpensa to Grinderwald via Interlaken. Spend night at Grinderwald.

2. 3Sep 16… Grinderlwald to Jungfrau. Proceed to Wengan. Spend night there.

3. 4Sep16… Wengan…Schinhorn (Schilthorn) (again spelling confusion ) , the James Bond Peak.

4. 5Sep16.. Wengan..Lucern (Luzern)

5. 6 Sep16.. Lucern..Mt Titlis..Lucern

6. 7Sep 16.. Sightseeing Lucern. Evening proceed to Interlaken

7. 8Sep16.. Interlaken to Venice.

i know it is a very ambitious plan and am not sure whether I will be able to pull it, but this way I get to spend a night each at Grinderlwald and Wengan and visit the three famous peaks.

Any suggestions?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 August 2016 at 15:33:09 #855345

Hi Cupid-

<<“Any suggestions?”>>

Yes. If you are going top use the timetable, please watch your spelling. It can often catch mistakes, but not always. And, if you have to speak to a ticket agent, it will help your pronunciation. And, if you are not using the timetable during your trip, you’ll likely be handicapped when fitting your plans together.

Grindelwald

Wengen

Milano Malpensa

Schilthorn

Second. it is not a particularly ambitious plan, and that is good. Gives you time to relax a bit, makeup for mistakes, and enjoy the localities instead of just going from point to point.

Except for one thing. The one thing that may be ambitious is planning for good weather.

You have made your plans on the assumption of good (clear) weather in the Alps.

That is far from certain, although September -on average- is the best month for good weather.

It is good that you have allowed three nights in the Jungfrau region…that will give you a good chance of having at least one, and possibly 3 good days.

If you can manage to leave Malpensa at 0715, you’ll be in Grindelwald at 1109. That will give you time to go up, even if only to Männlichen, on your first day.

If you catch the next bus at 1100 you’ll arrive at 1509. Still time to go up for a while. I do not know if those buses require reservations. Don’t know how to check either. Surely it is on the internet somewhere.

The timetable will help your considerations.

Note that to go up to either Kleine Scheidegg or Männlichen, you start at Grindelwald Grund , which is just below Grindelwald.

Note that the stations for the cableway have “GGM” after the name… That stands for Grindelwald Grund – Männlichen route/stations.

If you were coming/going to from Wengen on the cableway, it would say “LWM.” Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/ Männlichen.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2016 at 4:45:21 #855346

@Slowpoke.

thanks once again for your detailed reply. Now my understanding is…

1. From Interlaken catch the train to Grindelwald and get down at Grindelwald to stay the night there.

2. To proceed to Mannlichen and Jungfrau from Grindelwald walk to Grindelwald Grund and catch Gandola/train respectively.

3. On return from Jungfrau to proceed to Wengan get down at Kleine Scheidegg and change train to Wengan.

4. How does the route Wengan..Schilthorn work?

5. Another doubt i am having is as most people catch the train from Interlaken and we would be catching it from Grindelwald, I hope there would be space in the train for us at Grindelwald. If the weather forecast is decent would it help to buy tickets for Grindelwald…Jungfrau…Wengan the previous day on reaching Grindelwald?

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 August 2016 at 9:00:15 #855347

Hi Cupid,

It’s Wengen, not Wengan. If you spell it right, you will be able to get details of any route from the timetable. Just enter your start and end point, a date and time, and click the button. Then click the various connections presented to find details, like where to change.

People visiting from Interlaken change in Grindelwald, to the same train you will take from there. You, you can buy tickets the previous day to make 100% sure they won’t reach maximum capacity before you get the tickets: myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2016 at 14:32:52 #855348

Thanks again Arno and Slowpoke.

1.While I am able to check the temperature at Jungfrau, what is the average temperature in Wengen and Lucern in first week of September?

2. For the peaks do you need spl thermal jackets, gloves etc and are they available on rent?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 August 2016 at 15:06:37 #855349

Hi Cupid-

Google to the rescue. Search for averageannual temperatures in XXXX

us.worldweatheronline. com/wengen-weather-averages/ch.aspx

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2016 at 18:06:15 #855350

Thanks

Further questions.l

1. Trying to book Swiss Travel Pass vis Swiss Rail link sent by you.

its asking for my postal address and no option of delivery by E Mail , though thats how I want the tickets delivered.

2. I have checked the temperature s at Jungfrau , plz advice if spl warm clothing required and is it available on rent L

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 August 2016 at 19:20:35 #855351

Hi Cupid,

1. Please go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, pick your pass, enter the number of passengers and travel dates. Then enter your address. Next, pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list of delivery options. You’ll receive it through e-mail in 1-3 business days.

2. You can do a lot indoors, but you will need a few (thin) layers of extra clothing for outdoors. Renting clothing is not necessary unless you are planning to do snow activities. Please see the Jungfraujoch page for further preparation tips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2016 at 13:32:16 #855352

Thanks.

The more i dig into the net the more I get envolped in net of doubts.

i have already ordered for 8 day Swiss travel pass, which I hope to get online before i depart for Switzerland on 3 Sep.

After staying in Grinderlwald for 2 days I move to Wengen for 2 days. The timetable shows 2 routes..

1. Via Zweilutschinen and Lauterbrunnen or via Kleine Scheidegg. Will the first route be fully free with STP.?

2. The time table does not give option of STP for discounts. Any enlightenment on this?

3. It shows around 100 Swiss Francs for Engilberg Mt Titlis return.Does this include Titlis flyer , chair lift flyer etc? If not are these activities on top of Titlis and what are there prices and does STP get any discount on them?

4. Whats Dogs?

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 August 2016 at 14:42:18 #855353

Hi Cupid,

1. Yes, that route is free (see the map please).

2. The timetable links to the SBB website, which is primarily for Swiss residents. You only need it for schedules, not to buy tickets. If you need a discounted ticket for a cableway, for example, you can buy that at the ticket counter. For free routes (trains, boats, buses), you do not need tickets at all.

3. You’ll find details and links on the Titlis page. The cableway costs CHF 89 (or half of that with a Swiss Travel Pass). The Icy Flyer is separate and costs CHF 12.

4. Sorry, I don’t know what you mean.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 August 2016 at 14:48:24 #855354

Hi Arno-

<<“1. Via Zweilutschinen and Lauterbrunnen or via Kleine Scheidegg. Will the first route be fully free with STP.?”>>

As you note, the route via Zweilütschenen is free. Public inter”city” transport.

Are the lifts free or only discounted via Männlichen?

I believe that the route via Kleine Scheidegg is only discounted….right?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 August 2016 at 17:07:12 #855355

Hi Slowpoke,

The Männlichen and Kleine Scheidegg routes are discounted. You can find details on the map.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2016 at 20:51:47 #855356

So the Swiss Travel Pass is in my hands and I travel to Switzerland in 2 days thanks to this site.The pass say s no validation reqd but I remember reading that validtion is required to ensure number of days from commencement of journey.

1. So plz confirm if validtion is reqd and if yes , is it possible to get it validated in Domodossola as my free journey on the pass starts there.

If the Weather Gods smile on us , we would have visited Jungfrau, Schilthorn and Mt Titlis. We still have a free day at Luzern.

2. Plz suggest an option between Mt Riggi and Mt Pilatus and other options in Luzern

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 August 2016 at 21:04:30 #855357

Hi Cupid-

Arno or the links that he has given will have to answer about your Swiss travel Pass. They may ask to see your passport when you show it or, if you have to do so, validate it.

This will help with Luzern.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

The Rigi (watch the spelling) is a more “peaceful” mountain, with a pleasant walk from the top down to Rigi Kaltbad, for example. The boat ride to Vitznau, to catch the cograil train up to Rigi Kulm, is very scenc. is very nice, too.

Pilatus is more rugged, and the very steep cograil train is a special event.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 September 2016 at 9:50:47 #855358

Hi Cupid,

You can buy the pass as explained in my post of Aug 27, 7:20 PM. It is ready to travel once printed. There’s no validation. Just stay seated in Domodossola. Be sure to order the pass in time because of the 1-3 day processing time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2016 at 17:48:55 #855359

Thanks Arno/Slowpoke

The STP is in my hands last few days. Few hours before I board my flight.

Working out my return journey. 11 Sep Interlaken to Venice mastre. I worked out the 0800 train 962 from Interlaken to Spiez and then 806 at 0836h from Spiez to Brig. However the timetable showing a big Fat (R)..for these Intercity trains. Does it mean i need prior reservation and if so how do I reserve using my Swiss Travel Pass because my journey till Domodossolo should be free

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 September 2016 at 9:55:48 #855360

Hi Cupid,

Swiss trains don’t require reservations. The “R” just means you can book seats if you want to. There’s a legend in the bottom of the timetable explaining symbols like that. The Spiez to Brig train will probably be pretty busy, but you’ll always be able to board.

• The thread ‘Swiss train timetable confusing me’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.