Swiss transfer ticket

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2011 at 6:37:20 #804643

Hi,
    I have planned Swiss trip for 6 days following fussen tour

On First day
    From fussen to lauterbrunnen (I break the trip into two)
    one is German part from fussen to Lindau which is covered by Bavarian ticket
    Another one is Swiss part from St Margrethen to Lauterbrunnen via zurich, bern, interlaken or via luzern,bern, interlaken with 2- 3 change overs
    On seventh day
    I need to check out hotel in grindelwald and move outwards to geneva to take tgv to paris

Will my inbound trip
    from St Margrethen to Lauterbrunnen with change overs be completely free with this pass?

Is it worth to opt for swiss transfer card along with my regional bernese oberland pass, since i need adequate free days in between?

And the most important thing , I need to be cleared. when I’m checking http://www.sbb.ch for train schedule & fare calculation, for long trip with change overs, Time gap between two connections are only around 5- 10 mins. Is it sufficient to walk to other train?

Thanks
    dhivyak

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 August 2011 at 9:12:45 #834024

Hi dhivyak,

Yes, the Swiss Transfer Ticket would be a good choice as it completely covers St. Margrethen to Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald to Geneva, and you’ll get an extra discount on top of the regional pass offer as described here. Both can be ordered together from STC.

Any change overs suggested by the timetable are doable, provided that trains run on time, which they usually do.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2011 at 11:32:59 #834025

Thanks for your Guidance Arno

Feel happy to hear that trip covered by transfer ticket.
    In that Swiss Transfer Ticket page, It was given as

each trip needs to be completed in one day and you have to use the most direct route. The quickest, most obvious route can be found using the timetable;”

Thats why, i have doubt.

1. Can I do multiple transfer from St Margrethen to Lauterbrunnen. via St Gallen, zurich, bern, interlaken?? There is no direct route for this inbound trip.

2. You have mentioned as one will get an extra discount for Regional pass bernese oberland with swiss transfer ticket. Will it be also applied for Regional pass bernese oberland Get one buy one offer??

Thanks again

dhivyak

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 August 2011 at 11:45:23 #834026

Hi dhivyak,

1. No need to worry about that. “Direct” does not mean that you’re not allowed to change trains. It just means that you need to use the shortest or quickest route, which is exactly what the timetable offers.

2. Yes, that is what I meant.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2011 at 12:14:57 #834027

Thanks Arno,

Its pleasure to buy those passes

Do I need to book or reserve in advance for my inbound outbound trip??

Or else Can I travel unreseved??

Shall I buy both Swiss transfer tickets & discounted Regional pass bernese oberland Get one buy one offer from Rail Europe. I think its the cheapest deal.
    What about your opinion regarding this?? What about STC as you mentioned earlier?? Any difference??

Thanks
    dhivyak

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2011 at 12:23:54 #834028

And also I ‘m from India. Which is opt?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2011 at 12:41:47 #834029

What is promotion code we can choose for swiss transfer ticket for offer in Rail Europe. I couldn’t understand yet

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 August 2011 at 12:49:32 #834030

Hi dhivyak,

Just select India and the number of travelers on the respective pass page and you can read all about prices, shipping and other details there. Click here for Rail Europe’s promo codes for India. They don’t sell the regional pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2011 at 2:12:55 #834031

Thanks Arno,

Your responses means a lot to decide best of my own. Awesome.

I decided to buy through STC Because it has a discount.

In STC website, They are asking only the start date (inbound trip date) of my swiss transfer ticket. And also mentioned as validity for one month. That means we can show the transfer ticket to the rail staff and we are free to choose any one of swiss travel day as our outbound trip within one month from start date. A’m I right??

Do I need to book or reserve in advance for my inbound outbound trip?? Or else Can I travel unreseved??

If I buy 2 transfer tickets, will i get my discount doubled

I need to buy schilthorn round trip from murren in advance. Can I buy it for 50% discount with transfer tickets??
    In STC, It was given as that trip will get 50% discount with Swiss passes. Will transfer ticket come in that category??

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 August 2011 at 3:14:36 #834032

Good to hear that dhivyak! You don’t need to book trips in Switzerland in advance. Details are here. Please read the details about the Swiss Transfer Ticket here. The second free transfer can indeed be any day within one month after the first transfer. It does not include any other discounts. You need to use the Regional Pass for that. I would advice to purchase the Schilthorn tickets locally, as the leg Mürren – Schilthorn cannot be purchased online, only the full trip from Stechelberg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2011 at 3:55:04 #834033

Thanks Arno

Yes I will take your advice for schilthorn trip.

May I be allowed to have a day trip to aareschlucht +Reichenbach falls Meiringen as hop on hop off on my Inbound trip from St Margrethen to Lauterbrunnen via luzern, bern, interlaken?? Are there any restrictions to do so?

If I enter a first date (say 16 sep 2011) in Regional pass bernese oberland whilst purchase, Is it compulsory to use the first day as free day?

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 August 2011 at 5:31:29 #834034

Hi dhivyak,

Sure, if you take the route as suggested by the timetable, you may hop on and off along the way whereever you like.

The free travel days of the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland can be choosen as you like. The first day does not need to be a free travel day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2011 at 5:42:54 #834035

Hi Arno,

I’m clear in all aspect. Thats all happened by you.

Only one thing left is to buy my passes.

Thanks

• The thread ‘Swiss transfer ticket’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.