Swiss Transfer Ticket using day after arrival

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 3:24:41 #811067

Hi i would like to check if the swiss transfer ticket can be used in the following manner as I have already read the conditions from many websites but i am still not clear if the following is allowed:

I arrive in Gevena airport on 29 April and i stay over 1 night at Geneva airport hotel. I will use the swiss transfer ticket on 30 April 2017 to travel from Geneva Airport to Zermatt. then i will depart from Zermatt on 3rd May to Basel but will alight at Basel Bahnhof SBB and stay over 1 night. I will only depart from Basel EuroAirport on 4th May by other transport means.

This means I do not activate the transfer ticket the same day i arrive in geneva and when i depart i do not reach the airport but alight at the main station. Also, I do not depart from the same airport i arrived in. For the above purpose, can I use the swiss transfer tickets for dates 30 April and 3 May?

Please advise.Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    14 March 2017 at 9:26:43 #860060

Hi,

Your plan looks OK. STT was used by me also for Geneva- Zermatt- Basel sector. But when you begin journey at Geneva don’t forget to take endorsement from Ticket Checking staff for commencement of STT. There are rules that journey must be completed on same calendar day from Geneva to zermatt and return from Zermatt to Basel. Check these rules.

I also suggest you can use Swiss rail facility to move your luggage- say hand over luggage to them at Geneva and take delivery at zermatt. But be careful,delivery will be granted only upto 7 or 8pm in evening.

In fact I used same STT to Reach Interlaken too buying a bridging ticket in sector Visp-Interlaken-Visp.

Consider buying a half fare card along with STT ,you will get concession 50% on mountain trips to Matterhorn,Jungfraujoch etc. for the cable cars etc

Regards

Sundar

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 17:36:51 #860061

Hi Msrajey,

You can find out all the facts about how to use the Swiss Transfer Ticket here. The most important is that you have to specify the dates that you will use it (validate) before traveling. This can be done when purchasing the ticket. Traveling the day after arrival is not a problem.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 7:23:04 #860062

Thanks Lucas for the clarification.

Thanks Sundar as well for the details. I was also exploring the swiss half fare card but since I am tin Zermatt only for 4 days maximum and Zermatt being car-free, I was wondering if it was still worth it compared to paying full fare for the mountain rail to Matterhorn and Gornergrat? Is there anything I’m missing here that would make getting the half fare card more beneficial?

For now i do not have plans to go to Interlaken and in Basel, I intend to utilise the mobility ticket from the hotel, which offers free transport within Basel, including to the airport on 4th May.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    15 March 2017 at 9:01:37 #860063

Half fare card decision is simple arithmetic. Add cost of the half fare card to all tickets you propose to buy at half fare. In my case it worked out in saving because I bought half fare tickets to Gornergrat , Matterhorneglacier and Jungfraujoch . you can decide accordingly too.

I wish you an enjoyable holiday in Switzerland.

Annika
    7116 posts
    15 March 2017 at 16:16:10 #860064

Hi msrajey,

As madduris200 pointed out you’d best do some calculations. Full fares add up very quickly and in many cases a Swiss Half Fare Card does save you money. Calculation help can be found here.

• The thread ‘Swiss Transfer Ticket using day after arrival’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.