Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi Zurich-Luzern-Wengen

• traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    8 June 2016 at 6:41:13 #809388

Hi,

1. If we want to do a return trip from Zurich airport to Wengen via Luzern, does the Swiss Transfer ticket allow us to do so or must we use only the route via Bern?

2. For trains leaving Zurich Airport to Wengen, is it more likely to be crowded on weekends (Sat, Sun) or weekdays if we take the Luzerne route? We were thinking of flying in on a Sat or Sun but worried that many visitors may visit the Bernese Oberland on weekends and the trains may be packed. We are talking about late June.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2016 at 7:24:46 #852779

Hi traveljet,

1. Yes, you can travel via Luzern as well. That’s because you need to take the quickest or the cheapest route (see here). Via Luzern is slower but cheaper if you had to buy regular tickets, so this is allowed.
    2. Weekdays during rush hour are most busy. Saturdays can be crowded at times as many people arrive or depart on that day. But it greatly depends on the route, date and time. There can be events in towns as well causing things to be different than usual. The timetable shows the expected occupancy of many trains.
    traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    8 June 2016 at 8:11:54 #852780

Hi Arno, thanks for the clarification on the Luzerne route.

As for crowded trains on weekends or weekdays from Zurich airport to Grindelwald via Luzern, hopefully regular travellers to the region can shed some light. I will also check out the transport link in advance, for weekends to see how crowded it gets to have an idea.

We will have to make a judgement call whether to fly into Zurich airport on a weekday or weekend when we book our tickets. The flight usually lands around 8am. :). Still have plenty of time to plan as its for next June although the Air Superdeal fares come out 6-8mths in advance.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2016 at 9:13:35 #852781

In general I would say the route via Luzern is less crowded than via Bern. Arrival at 8 AM on a weekday is not too bad. By the time you board your train rush hour will soon be over. In a weekend I would not expect too many travelers around that time either.

traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    8 June 2016 at 15:35:34 #852782

Yes Arno I think getting seats from Zurich airport to Interlaken may not be so bad. It’s whether the Interlaken to Grindelwald or Wengen route will be packed on weekends.

I read that you guys have been having some storms the past few days. Is that normal for June? I m still debating between June or Sept. The reason for mid-end June is to see some spring flowers.

Our coming trip next year is a free n easy trip for walks in easy trails in the Bernese Oberland which we didn’t cover in Sept 2012.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2016 at 16:04:58 #852783

Hi traveljet,

Actually, all months in the Alps are known to show very variable weather. I know that’s not very useful, but it’s how it works. June can have warm days but also quite a lot of rain, and I also remember a snow storm in Davos when things looked like Christmas. So anything is possible. On top of that parts of Europe have had storms with heavy rain recently. Those more frequent storms are clearly an effect of global warming. We have to get used to that, and at the same time try to be responsible, also when traveling (see here for some details). September is known to be a wonderful month; again without any guarantees.

traveljet
    Participant
    387 posts
    9 June 2016 at 6:31:09 #852784

Yes Arno, the weather worldwide has gotten pretty crazy and unpredictable.

Keep up the great work on this site😄😄

• The thread ‘Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi Zurich-Luzern-Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.