Swiss Transfer Ticket or Swiss Half Fare Card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 December 2013 at 15:59:10 #806206

Hi..

3 of us are travelling to Davos from Zurich Airport in January. 2 Adults and 1 child (8 years old).

I’m trying to decide if I should buy the Swiss Transfer Ticket (1st Class) for about $471 USD on the SBB website (includes $25 promotional discount) or the Swiss Half Fare Card for $255..

We are using the train on Jan 1 to get to Davos and returning to Zurich on the 8th… Does the Half Fare card include the actual train tickets or is this just getting me the option to get 50% adult tickets and free child (getting free Family Card)..

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 December 2013 at 5:50:12 #839349

Hi Rayk2727,

That’s interesting, I have not heard of that promotional discount. Where did you read about that?

A first class Swiss Transfer Ticket costs CHF 216 per person via the webshop of the SBB, or USD 248 if you purchase via Rail Europe in the US (shipping is free). Regular point to point tickets would cost CHF 204. Note that both options do not include any traveling during your stay in Davos.

The Swiss Half Fare Card includes 50% off everything; so you have to buy tickets for each trip. All in all it’s only slightly more expensive than the other options and it would allow you to do local trips at half the fare too. You can get it via the SBB webshop as well. Here are the details.

If you plan to do local traveling too you can best get the Swiss Half Fare Card. If not, the Swiss Transfer Ticket is the most convenient option (no tickets to purchase in Zurich), and the cheapest as well if you can get that discount.

These are all prices of 2013. Prices will increase as of January 1. Enjoy your stay in Davos!

• The thread ‘Swiss Transfer Ticket or Swiss Half Fare Card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.